---------------------------------
[18] Utd games affected by strike?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
An Exclusive from the Sunday Mirror:

MANCHESTER United's games against Arsenal and Chelsea have been targeted for a TV
blackout if the threatened players strike goes ahead.

The PFA have chosen to disrupt the champions because they claim they have the support
of United's players to take top games off television screens in the dispute with
Premiership chairmen over television cash.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor and his team have pencilled in United's glamour
clash at Arsenal on Sunday 25 November and their home match with Chelsea on Saturday 1
December as possible dates for a strike.

The result of the PFA's ballot on strike action will be known on Friday 9 November,
but already Union chiefs are predicting a massive "yes" vote in favour of an
unprecedented walk-out.

Taylor visited United's training complex earlier this month and left with a strong
declaration of support from England's most famous and successful group of players.
Even United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, a former trade union leader in the Clyde
shipyards, has declared his backing for the PFA to have a greater share of football's
£1.6billion television cash.

"The union has overwhelming support," said the PFA's Barry Horne. "We think it could
be as high as 90 per cent.

"That will send out a strong message to the employers and eventually they will have to
negotiate."

---------------------------------
[17] Capello on Euro player of the year
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"I think the European Footballer of the Year will be either Beckham, Totti or Raul.
This year Beckham has leapt a level. He's become a leader. Before, he was a very good
player; now he's a leader as well as a top player.

"I have been following Ryan Giggs since he was about 16. I thought he was a lovely
player even then. He and Beckham are players of great quality."

---------------------------------
[16] Capello says: 'Me please'
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"If I'm taken into consideration for the job, then I'm pleased.

"All coaches aspire to great clubs and Manchester United are a great club. Maybe along
with Real Madrid, they're the greatest club in the world.

"I must say that, having worked in Spain and a great deal in Italy, to close my career
there (in England) and learn to speak English well would be good."

---------------------------------
[15] Ryan: we have to prove our worth
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"The Treble-winning side of two years ago is obviously the benchmark but we feel we
can emulate that. Some of the football we have played this season has been our most
impressive ever and now we have just got to prove our worth."

---------------------------------
[14] Sabre: I'm so exited
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"But I like it this way. We're exciting to watch, we create chances and we are always
dangerous. I think once we have bedded ourselves in a little more, we will have the
system sussed out and will be ready for the push to the final. It's a realistic
target. This is as good a group of players as I have ever worked with."

---------------------------------
[13] Sabre: no 1-0 to the Arse here
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"In Italy, you go one-nil up and then close up shop. Here, and with Man U (have to cut
that out Juan!) in particular, the door is always a little open."

---------------------------------
[12] And Sabre joins in
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"The only reason why people are saying that 4-4-2 works well is because we scored
goals playing that way,"

"But we missed a penalty and hit the post before the late switch in formation. What
would have been the verdict if those two chances had gone in? Systems don't really
matter and they certainly don't win you games; it's all about having the right
attitude. If we are all feeling confident and are geared towards winning, there is
nothing to stop us from going further in the competition."

---------------------------------
[11] Giggsy on the 'formation'
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
. "I think it's fair to say that most of us are used to 4-4-2, but when you play at
this level you can adapt," said Ryan Giggs, who produced a scintillating performance
from start to finish on Tuesday night. "There's no reason why we can't do well playing
the new system. European performances have been quite good so far, and I believe we
are all happy with the way we're asked to play."

---------------------------------
[10] Former sheep manager on Utd against Olympiakos
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
Jimmy Armfield:

"People can talk all they want about formations, but the simple fact is that nobody
knows those players better than Sir Alex," he said. "And I think he has got them
playing well. You could even argue that Tuesday was the perfect example of how to play
the good teams in Europe. I thought Man U were very mature."

---------------------------------
[9] More Coolmore mafia investment
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
According to Soccernet, Fergies mates JP McManus and John Magnier are about to invest
a further 20m in the PLC which will take their stake to around the 15% mark.

A meeting was described as frosty between the pair and the Utd board last week, and
apparently the Utd board are preparing themselves for a hostlile takeover bid.

According to the report, Fergie will replace Martin Edwards.

---------------------------------
[8] YSB on yesterday
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
Matteo says:

"Being 1-0 up we were are a bit disappointed. It's always tough coming here but we
take some positives out of that.

"We needed good team spirit and we had to hold on at the end - Nigel had to make a few
saves. We can only improve from this."

"He (van Nistelrooy) is a handful and we had to look after him all game," Matteo added.

---------------------------------
[7] Fergie: You've got to stand, for your rights'
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"The Premiership has ruled that the managers must be paid within a month, which is
absolutely right.

"But you could give a young manager in the Third Division a 25-year contract, sack him
after a week and not give him a penny.

"The LMA (League Managers' Association) should say no manager should take a job at a
club until the sacked manager has been paid his compensation."

---------------------------------
[6] Wenger ' I haven't seen it'
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
Over the S*n article about the OT job

No surprise there then.

"I didn't read it in fairness, I've just seen it," he said after Arsenal's 1-1 draw at
Sunderland.

"I have no reaction. I'm more concerned about my team and the game and the future of
Arsenal."

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie on the real Keano's injury
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"All I can say is I don't think he will be fit," (for the Irish WC playoff games).

"But if he might be, even if he were not fit for our league game against Liverpool, I
would let him go and play for Ireland because these are such important games for them.

"But he has to have this rest, there's no question about that.

"We have to nip this in the bud before it gets any worse. He's certainly not fit at
this moment in time and whether he will be fit for the trip is difficult to say, but
he's definitely doubtful."

---------------------------------
[4] O'Dreary: Keane should have walked
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"I thought Keane was lucky to stay on the pitch," he said.

"I had a right go at him afterwards because I feel if you raise your hands you are
leaving yourself open to the referee.

"If that had happened in Europe I think he would definitely have taken a walk. It was
a nothing incident, but Robbie should not have done what he did.

"I was sitting there waiting for the ref to make the decision and I thought he would
give him the red card. I was surprised by that, but let's not be kidded here by that.

"Let's talk about the actual game itself and it was a good match, a terrific match."

---------------------------------
[3] O' Dreary disappointed
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"I'm disappointed because when we got the goal we sat back and I wanted us to go from
there. I felt we should have won the game because we were controlling the game.

"This is why we've got to mature and we've got many years yet to do that. They are a
fantastic bunch of lads who give everything for me. There's great spirit here, believe
me, there's a great hunger."

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie on Ole
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"He's a fantastic finisher," he said. "That was a nice header and you've got to give
him 10 out of 10."

---------------------------------
[1] Fergie pleased with his battlers
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2001 by tb:
"It's a terrific quality to have on a day like today. We've done fantastic to recover.
It's to do with character and it is no accident.

"We were a bit unlucky at the end. Their goalkeeper was a bit lucky with the save
between his legs.

"At the end of the day it's been a fantastic game of football.

"The performance is important and I think today we performed well and the team showed
a terrific team spirit which is important."