---------------------------------
[25] Stiffs vs Sheff Wed
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
from manutd.com

...at Gigg Lane tonight, kick off 7pm.

Choccy's reserves are unbeaten so far this season, having won four and drawn one.

United: van der Gouw; M Clegg, Roche, Tate, Tierney; Chadwick, Wallwork, Stewart,
Djordjic; Davis, Webber.
Subs: B Williams, Nardiello, Fox, Timm, K Taylor.

---------------------------------
[24] Ole on mood
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:

"The mood in the dressing room was a bit down afterwards because with the other result
being 1-1 we would have topped the group had we won."

"We're going to have a few good games in the next group stage. But, we're always
confident in our ability,"

"And when we get the big sides at Old Trafford, we are up for it."

Last night's goal was Ole's third in three - which nicely topped up RedHotTips betting
account with a correct first goalscorer selection at 7/1.

---------------------------------
[23] More death threats at Bury
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:

The MEN reports that Bury have received more death threat letters - now including one
containing a knife.

Apparently its all down to a Bury fan who is pissed off that Bury sell Manchester
United memorabilia in the souvenir shop. He's got a point really.

Police were called in after the knife arrived in the post yesterday with a letter
threatening to "cut people up".

Goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, a Red, received a note which threatening to "get him at
training".

Chairman Terry Robinson has been advised that rubber gloves should be worn when mail
is opened.

---------------------------------
[22] FIFA confirm Autralian Rules Football
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Fifa has ruled that the squads for the friendly between Australia and France on
November 11 should remain as they are.

It means that United and Chelsea will lose two France players each (if Fabian's ear
gets better).

The Arse will lose Robert Pires, Sylvain Wiltord, Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira.

---------------------------------
[21] Duberry start the car ...
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
No - its Duberry start the game ...

 ... as he pulls on sheeps clothing for the first time in almost 14 months.

With Woodgate & Bowyer out of the way, in Hull Crown Court, Duberry can take the place
of the one he grassed up - and soon he could have it permanently if the former two get
their eagerly anticipated double free transfers to Strangeways FC.

---------------------------------
[20] Gobby Scouser?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
If you have a whining Scouser (are there any other kind) irritating you claiming
Liverpool are superior in Europe because they went through as group winners into Pot 2
- well lets look at the actual stats then:

UEFA calculate a club coefficient at the start of the season and this is how they
grade the teams. So surely Liverpool must be ahead after their historic (
http://www.ThePlasticTreble.co.uk ) Plastic Treble?

Err - no. United are currently rated No.2 in Europe - just ahead of the Top Seeds
(holders) Bayern Munich. The Scousers trail in a lowly 7th - squeezed between the Arse
and Galatasaray. So even UEFA agree it was a ( http://www.ThePlasticTreble.co.uk )
Plastic Treble?

[1]Madrid (114.605)
[2]Manchester United FC (110.644)
[3]Bayern Munich (110.316)
[4]Barcelona (108.605)
[5]Juventus (98.119).
[6]Arsenal FC (76.644)
[7]Liverpool FC (73.644),
[8]Galatasaray SK (71.987)
[9]FC Porto (68.137)
[10]AS Roma (68.119)
[11]RC Deportivo La Coruña (63.605)
[12]Bayer 04 Leverkusen (56.316)
[13]FC Nantes Atlantique (45.176)
[14]AC Sparta Praha (37.395)
[15]Panathinaikos FC (37.183)
[16]Boavista FC (28.137)

---------------------------------
[19] The draw live - here 11 AM tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
As usual we'll have the draw here live - on the main FORUM (Eric) at 11 AM on Friday

( http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum ) http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum

---------------------------------
[18] What's the score on the draw?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Juventus have now provisionally been made
top seeds.

How the draw works - now concentrate because I'm only going through this once :

Split the 8 group winners into two pots of four.

Pot 1 - top seeds: Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Juventus. [The big guns]

Pot 2 -  Liverpool, Deportivo La Coruna, Nantes and Panathinaikos. [Le sac de cack]

Split the 8 runners-up into two pots of four.

Pot 3 -  Manchester United, Arsenal, Galatasaray and Porto.

Pot 4 - AS Roma, Bayer Leverkusen, Sparta Prague and Boavista.

1 club from each pot goes into each of the four 2nd stage groups.

But clubs from the same country, & clubs that played in the same 1st stage groups,
can't go in together (because that'd be like shagging your own sister - apparently).

OK - now take the number you first thought of, divide it by 3, add your own age and I
think you'll find the answer is a brown Aardark from Peru.

---------------------------------
[17] Denis - we didn't play well enough
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Denis Irwin:

"We wanted to come first in the group, but I don't think we played well enough to come
first."

"We had to defend for a long time and we didn't play that well. They put in a lot of
long balls, a bit like an English side, but we've got to give them credit for keeping
going.

"However, we're disappointed and I don't think we were ever in control of the game.
We're going to have a tough, tough group now in the next stage, but we knew that
anyway."

---------------------------------
[16] Lille Coach
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Vahid Halilhodzic :

"I thought we dominated the match and really the goal was inevitable. I'm very pleased
with my players because I think this was the hardest group.

"I think we can do okay in the Uefa Cup because we have shown what we can do in the
Champions League - but I think if we are going to succeed then I need more money and I
think Beckham's salary is more than all my players earn."

---------------------------------
[15] FREE BETS
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
.... & £20 if any player scores from outside the box.

20 Squid in your sky rocket:

For new Sporting Odds punters before Liverpool match - If any player, scores from
outside the box, SportingOdds will give you £20 - all you have to do is register and
place a £5 bet on the game. Someone is bound to score from outside the box - with
Becks & Veron playing - and even if its one of the Scousers (Gerrard?) you get the
dosh.

 and a free £10 bet

After placing a bet on the Liverpool match, they give you a free £10 bet on who will
get the first card (yellow or red) in the match. Decent odds actually.

      ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews1 )

---------------------------------
[14] Sparky dropped ...
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
 .... out of Mrs Sparky senior on this day in 1963.

Mark Hughes is 38 today.

---------------------------------
[13] AF: Ole goal marvellous
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Fergie: "It was a marvellous goal by Ole - in fact they were two great goals actually."

"We didn't deserve more than we got to be honest with you and I think we did the best
with the players who were there."

---------------------------------
[12] AF: Maybe 2nd is better ...
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
... who can tell

Having finished second we now have to face two group winners - but Fergie isn't
bricking it yet:

"I understand that point of view and Deportivo La Coruna scored with five minutes to
go or something to get a 1-1 draw so it was very close, but at this moment in time you
can't really say if it will be help and if you look at the general selection of the
teams in there you see a lot of big names, a lot of quality and you may think at this
moment in time that it doesn't really matter.

"But when the draw comes on Friday we may say it would have been an advantage to be
first. Who knows?

"Maybe we are better in difficult situations - I don't know."

---------------------------------
[11] Veron back on
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
In a reversal of the earlier decision (as reported in story [2]) JSV has now been
given the green light to rip the Scousers to shreds on Sunday morning - which is nice.
He then has to fly home for a World Cup qualifier against Peru on 7 November.

FIFA said it would be unfair for clubs to be deprived of their top players because the
South American associations were late confirming the dates for the qualifiers.

So it started with him flying out Friday but United & Argentina agreed he could go on
Sunday after the match - then they imposed the 5 day rule and now FIFA have knocked
that back so he's going on Sunday. So that makes the final decision a reversal of a
reversal of a reversal. OK?

---------------------------------
[10] Derby briefs
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Derby County (Home)
Weds 12 December 2001, 8pm

Postal applications are now being accepted from Members only. Applications should
include a completed match ticket order form, relevant payment and sae. Alternatively,
members can make an online application by clicking here. However, please note these
applications will be given the same consideration as postal requests.

JUNIOR TICKET SCHEME - From the start of Season 2001/2002 we are pleased to announce
that we will be operating a junior ticket scheme for 11 to 16 year olds only. A set
number of seats (strictly for junior members only) will be allocated for every home
game in the East Lower section of the stadium. Junior members wishing to take up the
offer must complete the appropriate section on the match ticket order form.

Seat Prices are as follows (subject to availability):

North and South Stands Upper and Lower £26
North Stand 2nd Tier £24
North East / West Quadrants Upper and Lower £22
East and West Stand Upper £22
East and West Stand 2nd Tier £22
Family Stand £22
North Stand 3rd Tier £20
East and West Lower £18

A half price facility is available to under 16s and over 65s.

Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a postal ballot
will be held to determine the successful applicants.

---------------------------------
[9] How they all stand
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Group A  P Pts
Real Madrid 6 13
Roma 6 9
Loko. Moscow 6 7
Anderlecht 6 3

Group B  P Pts
Liverpool 6 12
Boavista 6 8
Bor. Dortmund 6 8
Dynamo Kyiv 6 4

Group C  P Pts
Panathinaikos 6 12
Arsenal 6 9
Mallorca 6 9
Schalke 6 6

Group D  P Pts
Nantes 6 11
Galatasaray 6 10
PSV Eindhoven 6 7
Lazio 6 6

Group E  P Pts
Juventus 6 11
Porto 6 10
Celtic 6 9
Rosenborg 6 4

Group F  P Pts
Barcelona 6 15
Bay. Leverkusen 6 12
Olymp. Lyonnais 6 9
Fenerbahçe 6 0

Group G  P Pts
Dep. La Coruña 6 10
Man. United 6 10
Lille 6 6
Olymp. Piraeus 6 5

Group H  P Pts
Bayern München 6 14
Sparta Praha 6 11
Feyenoord 6 5
Spartak Moscow 6 2

---------------------------------
[8] Group G final table
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Group G  P Pts
Dep. La Coruña 6 10
Man. United 6 10
Lille 6 6
Olymp. Piraeus 6 5

---------------------------------
[7] Fergie on Mickey's man of the match ....
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
... award from BFR

"I'm very pleased for him and I'm satisfied". "We've done quite well. It's a lot of
changes to make in a game like that, but we defended very well most of the time."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie on next stage
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
"There is tremendous quality in the next stage. Three Spanish teams, three Italian and
three English. It's a fantastic tournament and very open."

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie: We got what we deserved.
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
"Lille were first to every ball and made it very difficult for us".

"We had the possession but did not do well enough with it. We have not deserved any
more than that."

---------------------------------
[4] Babe shirt auctioned
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
>From Ananova

A goalkeeper's jersey worn by Busby Babe Ray Wood has fetched more than £6,000 at
auction.

Ray Wood played in goal with a broken jaw for Manchester United in their 1957 FA Cup
final against Aston Villa. ( a challenge which still has my other half's old man
foaming at the mouth)

Sir Matt Busby's young team were beaten as they tried to become the first in the last
century to add the trophy to the League Championship.

---------------------------------
[3] Take your choice
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Who we can draw in next round:

2 out of: real, Pao, nantes, Juve, Barca, Bayern
1 out of: Roma, Boavista, Galatasaray, Porto, Leverkusen, Sparta Prague

---------------------------------
[2] Seba out,  Keano in for Mickeys?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
As Argentina give Utd the 5 day rule, requiring Juan for their double header World Cup
ties (even though they've already qualified)  which means avoiding the trip down the
East Lancs Rd, it looks like Keano may return as Mick McCarthy says:

"Alex phoned me in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday and told me that Roy will be fit for
Ireland, he cannot train with United at the moment but Alex told me that the knee is
responding to rest and it is only a matter of time now before Roy is ready to play
again. That is great news."

---------------------------------
[1] Lille 1 Utd 1
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2001 by redend:
Mickey man of the match, amazing strike by Ole and a very impressive 20 minutes from
John O'Shea mean Utd end up 2nd in the group with Deportivo and Olympithingy also
drawing 1 each.

[30] Fancy a Fortune?
Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2001 by ps:
Not usually one to miss a cock up

Sporting Odds have Fortune at 14/1 and 22/1 to score the first goal tonight. As he is
highly likely to play, the latter option looks almost too good to miss. Remember, I
said almost!