---------------------------------
[35] But you have got a big nose
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
As Thompson goes overboard on Murphy:

"Danny's recent performances have been England class and at club level he gives us
what Beckham gives to United.

"Danny is as good as any England midfielder and that includes our Steven Gerrard and
United's Paul Scholes.

---------------------------------
[34] Fergie has a pop at boardrooms
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"We are in an era where impatience is probably the most prevalent factor in a
boardroom.

That and panic. But I just hope some start to show some guts and trust the managers
they have appointed.

"As soon as a crowd starts chanting 'sack the board' that's it for the manager and
they believe it will be the remedy."

---------------------------------
[33] Arse getting nervous
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
As the S*n reports that they reckon the Scout Master could be on his way to OT.

Merde

---------------------------------
[32] A Yorkshire mans' favourite website
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
>From Ananova:

Ten sheep in New Zealand have been given their own website.

Lambsonline features ten lambs adopted as cyberpets by schoolchildren in their
twin-town in Japan.

The lambs in Westport are "fostered" by local children who write messages on behalf of
the lambs.

The virtual pets were adopted by children from Amagase while visiting New Zealand.

The ten adopted sheep featured on Lambsonline are Nigel, Ian, Ferdy, Bowyer, Millsy,
Harry, Robbie, Mark, Dom and Jonathan.

---------------------------------
[31] Hammers tickets
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
Postal applications are now being accepted from Members only. Applications should
include a completed match ticket order form, relevant payment and sae. Alternatively,
members can make an online application by clicking here. However, please note these
applications will be given the same consideration as postal requests.

Junior Ticket Scheme: As per this season's new scheme, a set number of seats will be
allocated for junior members only (11 to 16 year olds) for every home game in the East
Lower section of the stadium. Junior members wishing to take up the offer must
complete the appropriate section on the match ticket order form.

Seat Prices are as follows (subject to availability):

North and South Stands Upper and Lower £26
North Stand 2nd Tier £24
North East / West Quadrants Upper and Lower £22
East and West Stand Upper £22
East and West Stand 2nd Tier £22
Family Stand £22
North Stand 3rd Tier £20
East and West Lower £18

A half price facility is available to under 16s and over 65s.

Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a postal ballot will be held to
determine the successful applicants.

Furthermore, Members should be mindful that the Family Stand has a strict no smoking
policy, and that access to the North Stand 2nd / 3rd tier and East / West Stand 2nd
tier seating involves a substantial amount of climbing. Persons having difficulty with
climbing or suffering from vertigo are advised accordingly.

For information only: the next Premiership home game to be sold will be Derby County,
to be played on Wednesday 12 December, kick off 8pm. An announcement regarding sales
will be made on Wednesday 31 October.

---------------------------------
[30] And Phil also chips in
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"We have our biggest game of the season coming up on Saturday against
Leeds. They are top of the table and unbeaten in the league, they
have a great defensive record and I am sure they are looking forward
to coming to Old Trafford."

"Brian Kidd will also be returning to Old Trafford on Saturday for the first time
since he left the club. Brian helped my career
tremendously when he was at Old Trafford. He was responsible for
bringing me into the club at twelve years old. He proved himself a
great coach at Old Trafford and he's doing the same at Leeds now. I
am sure he will get a great reception by the fans on Saturday as do
all former United legends."

---------------------------------
[29] Gary Nev on today
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"When you see teams like this who are going well coming to Old
Trafford they can either go from strength to strength, depending on
the result, or you can knock them out of their stride,"

"We'll obviously be hoping to do the latter. We need to take the
game to them and maybe give them the kind of game they have not had
this season so far.

"However, to be fair, they have played a lot of the top teams and
you have to give them credit. It is a genuine challenge they are
mounting.

"Leeds have a strong team. They know their system and they play it
well and have a good spirit. They play a consistent team every week
and it is working for them at the moment.

"It is a big game for us. Anyone who comes to Old Trafford has an
element of doubt in their heads and Leeds haven't got a great record
here in recent years. ``But they'll never be coming here in a better
frame of mind. We have to respect that and make sure we are on top of
our game.

"They'll be buoyed up by the fact we've lost two recent matches at
Old Trafford.

"One of strengths in recent years is that we haven't lost many games
here against teams like Bolton and we haven't given anyone
encouragement.

"When you do lose it does give them encouragement. If you conceded
goals it boosts the opposition. They come here with a bit of a
swagger rather than with their heads down.

"We have to get that back. It will come back there is no doubt about
that. Tuesday's win against Olympiakos will help us.

---------------------------------
[28] Head to Head with Eunice & co
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
>From Sky

Head to Head

Played             86
Man Utd won        34
Leeds won          22
Drawn              30

Man Utd are unbeaten in the last 7 Premiership meetings, winning 5.

Man Utd have won 8 of the last 11, losing only once. Leeds' last win came in September
1997, when David Wetherall scored their 1-0 winner at Elland Road.

Man Utd have lost only 3 of the last 24 meetings, winning 11 in that time. All their 3
defeats have come at Elland Road.

In the 18 Premiership meetings, Man Utd have gained 35 points compared to Leeds' 14.
Leeds have scored only 10 goals in the 18 games, scoring in only 6 of those.

There were 8 bookings in the last meeting on March 3 (5 for Man Utd, 3 for Leeds).
There has not been a sending-off in the last 6 meetings. Last red card was for Leeds'
Gunnar Halle in their 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford in May 1998.

Head to Head (at Man Utd)

Played             43
Man Utd won        20
Leeds won           8
Drawn              15

Man Utd have won each of the last 6 games here, and are unbeaten in the last 12
(winning 8). In the 9 Premiership meetings here, Man Utd have gained 23 points from a
possible 27 (won 7, drawn 2).

Leeds' last win here came 20 years ago in February 1981, when Brian Flynn scored their
1-0 winner.

Man Utd have conceded in only 1 of the 9 Premiership meetings at Old Trafford. Jimmy
Floyd Hasselbaink and Harry Kewell scored in Leeds' 3-2 defeat here in November 1998.

Man Utd have conceded only 8 goals in the last 17 League meetings here.

---------------------------------
[27] Opta stats for the sheep
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
Us first

9  Games 9
ATTACKING
26  Goals scored 12
2.89  Ave goals per game 1.33
56% Shooting Accuracy 43%
20% Goals to shots % 9%

PASSING
4865  Passes 3601
82%  Pass completion % 75%

DEFENDING
72% Tackle success rate % 71%
16  Goals conceded 3
1.78  Ave goals conceded per game 0.33

DISCIPLINE
129  Fouls 165
7  Yellow cards 14
1  Red cards 2
11320  Opta Index Score 9867

---------------------------------
[26] There’s a mess alright, but there’s no Messiah
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
As the MEN report on the latest chapter from the Theatre of Comedy.

'The one-time Messiah of Maine Road was earning a basic £750,000
salary last season in the Premier League, the M.E.N. can reveal.

'Had City avoided relegation, he would have picked up a bonus of
£100,000 - and £500,000 more if they had been champions. (You could tell they were
confident, couldn’t you!)'

'But the Blues' relegation meant Royle's salary would drop by a
staggering £450,000 to £300,000 a year.'

---------------------------------
[25] Jesper still trying
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
'I'm not stupid. I know my chances of getting a new
contract aren't great, but I feel at home here.

'I've been progressing well over the last few weeks and I think the
manager has wanted to see me play a little bit as well.

'I know the possibilities aren't great, but it's nice that he's given
me this small chance.'

'There are days when you get depressed.
But the next day I'm back training, thinking how I can improve,
looking for solutions and moving forward.'

---------------------------------
[24] Atmosphere
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
As Fergie tries to dampen the hostilities.

"Fortunately it's been OK over the last few years. Both sets of players have behaved
impeccably," the Scot praised.

"That has to be the case in these case because there is a hostile atmosphere out
there. The Leeds fans have this reputation and it's a volatile atmosphere. We can't
afford a cinderbox."

---------------------------------
[23] Fergie: Some big games at last
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
" There's five teams that everyone is predicting will be near the top at the end of
the season and I don't think they'll be far wrong.

"We've got the four of them (Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea) in the next five
weeks, but these are the games we want, the games we relish. We've been able to handle
all these types of games over the last few years as we've won the League. The players
have got the temperament, the ability and the character to handle these matches."

---------------------------------
[22] Fergie on O’Dreary’s ‘babies’
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"They had that good youth team that won the Youth Cup by beating us in the final, but
i think only Kewell and Woodgate have come out of that team. They bought Bowyer as a
young player from Charlton, and bought Rio Ferdinand, so they've stocked up on young
players. They're looking to build for the future."

---------------------------------
[21] Fergie on the War of the Roses
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"They're a very powerful team, and aggressive. But we've got a fantastic record
against them at Old Trafford, and we'll be wanting to keep that. But more importantly
we want to get the three points and cut their lead at the top of the League. A win
would bring us level with them,"

---------------------------------
[20] Fergie: Roy and Andrew  doubtful
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"I would say that Roy is definitely doubtful - he's unlikely to play,"

"We'll see what Andy is like tomorrow (today)."

---------------------------------
[19] Scholsey talks up the sheep
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"They've not conceded many goals, and Rio Ferdinand, Dominic Matteo, Ian Harte, Danny
Mills and Nigel Martyn have all had good start to the seasons. The midfield have had a
good start to the season, too and the two front players are good too - capable of
scoring goals from anyone on the pitch.

"We definitely don't want Leeds to win as then they'll start to stretch their lead.
We're looking to win the game and overtake them."

---------------------------------
[18] Scholesy: We believe
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"We need to play better, and there's no team to start playing better against than
Leeds. We've had some quite difficult games and some bad results, but confidence is
always good in the team and we always believe when we go out we can win," he said.

"We know we're capable of beating any team on our day and hopefully we can prove that
on Saturday.

"They're winning games and picking up points all the time and they're at the top of
the League. It will be a difficult game and one in which we need to prove that we're
still capable of beating teams like them."

---------------------------------
[17] Ginger Prince on wanting to fleece the sheep
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"It's vitally important to beat Leeds, just as it was vitally important to beat Bolton
last week. We didn't manage to do it and we were disappointed. It was a very bad
result and so it's become even more important for us to beat them,"

"I think I read somewhere that it's twenty years since they beat us at Old Trafford.
Hopefully that can carry on. We don't really think about that though, it's just
another game and one we'll be looking to win."

---------------------------------
[16] On the other hand…
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
Laurent warns

"I played in a free-scoring Barcelona side in 1996-97. They won the King's Cup, the
European Super Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup. We scored over 100 goals that
season and Ronaldo scored 35 alone.

"Yet Real Madrid beat us to the championship because even though they scored fewer
goals, they conceded a lot fewer as well.''

---------------------------------
[15] Lolo: We have the potential
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
Blanc says: "We have the potential to win both the Champions League and the English
title, but first we must obtain a solid look throughout the team."

He added: "To achieve these two main trophy objectives for United this year, we've got
to have a real defensive toughness and consistency which we haven't got yet.

"The reality is at the moment we are letting in too many goals. Our defending hasn't
been effective enough and you can't get away from that."

---------------------------------
[14] Wes feels sorry for Ronny
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
It's horrible, to think he's only just come back this season and now he's done his
hamstring again,"

"I can understand exactly how he feels at the moment. It's the worst thing that could
happen to any footballer."

"Ronny's a very experienced player and he knows he has to get over this and I'm sure
he will do. It's something you don't really need when you're just really getting into
the team and making your presence known there," said Wes.

"Some players always seem to get niggles and I think Ronny is one of those players.
He's a world class player as we've seen already this season and it's just unfortunate
that he's done something else.

"Getting injured can get you down, especially when you're in the team and doing well.
To know you could be out for four months is painful and very frustrating."

"Every time Ronny has come back, he's never struggled as a player,"

"He's very easy to play with. No matter what anyone says, we all know what we're doing
and when we're talking we can be one of the best defences out there."

---------------------------------
[13] Keano on the OT Irish connection
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"There's always been Irish players here at Old Trafford, too, even going back to the
50s and 60s. I think it's got a lot to do with our determination to come to a
different country and do well."

---------------------------------
[12] Keano on O’Dreary
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"You look at what David's done at Leeds, and some of the Irish players he's got there.
But it's still early days for them. That can only be good for the Irish senior team,
hopefully."
"You can never tell who's going to be a good coach,".

"We had a lot of players in that Irish team – John Aldridge, Mick McCarthy, David –
who have gone into management.

"Obviously David was fortunate to work with George Graham at Arsenal and then at Leeds
when there was a lot of potential there. But you've still got to go out and do it.

"He's still a young manager and he's still got a lot to prove, but he comes across
well and the players seem to play for him. He's got something going for him but like
everyone he'll need a bit of luck."

---------------------------------
[11]No way says Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
To the Scotland job

David Taylor (From Scottish FA)

"We discussed the situation about the manager's position, as well as a wide range of
issues connected with the game in general.

"It is clear he has a continuing high interest in the game in Scotland. He restated
his willingness to help, and we will remain in contact.

"But he has already made it clear that he is not going to remain in football
management after he leaves Manchester United.

---------------------------------
[10] Sabre on Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"We are players of the same position but we try to link," I try to help him and he me.
There is no man-marking like in Italy, we all put ourselves at the disposal of the
team to attack."

---------------------------------
[9] Juan mentions the 'D' word
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"Everyone's talking about the defence but it's also that the team gambles on attack
and the players at the back are not purely defensive players, there aren't any
Simeones, warrior types of players,"

---------------------------------
[8] JSV: Different style to Italy
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"We play a very open game and you can win 5-0 or lose. It's a different style from
Italy. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just different.

---------------------------------
[7] JSV - We are Family
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"I'm very grateful and the players all received me very well," he said. "I had some
reservations that they might be a bit cold but they never made me feel uncomfortable
and that's something I value a lot."

---------------------------------
[6] Veron on Rome
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"I needed to get away from an ambience that had deteriorated a bit," he said, although
he was quick to add that he didn't want to criticise Italy. "It is a beautiful country
where I had the chance to live."

---------------------------------
[5] You might change your mind after today Sabre
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
"I've been very impressed. You go to a stadium and there's this atmosphere, it is very
difficult to find such an atmosphere elsewhere, there's nothing separating the players
from the people. You see lots of families, it's very civilised," he said.

[4] Juan Love
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2001 by tb:
As JSV claims:

"If it happened, I'd be happy to end my career in Manchester,"
"I feel really comfortable here and I can't see why that should change."