---------------------------------
[20] Beware of betting, Greek Gifts!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:

[Ed: Another entertaining if bewildering emission from the quill of Alex Plypin for
his growing army of fanatical Plypinites]

I know that the first group stages are intended to ensure that all but the most
hapless of sides 'qualify' for the Ueseless Cup - the main jewel in the crown that was
last season's ( http://www.ThePlasticTreble.co.uk ) "Historic Treble". So prestigious
is this trophy, that the self-proclaimed British Champions (even though we won on
aggregate) are now learning the hard way. Rolling over the likes of Motherwell and
Hearts on a regular basis, is the equivalent of jogging up the stairs a couple of
times, to prepare for a marathon.

Having said that, 2 very ordinary results (why do cockneys go on about 'getting a
result' when they mean avoiding defeat? The last time that I looked, a defeat is a
result - if a not particularly favourable one!) meant that nerves were fraying a
little before the Olympiakos game. In similar circumstances a month ago, ingerlund
were playing a Greek side with nothing to lose, and - on this occasion - a draw was
simply not good enough.

There was a fairly healthy turn-out at the ST&LC (Stretford Trades & Labour Club to
the untutored), where it became known that the steward/stewardess were packing their
bags. Merde alors! A quelle heure ouvrirent les patrons nouveaux a Samedi? This means
a trip to St. Ann's, for bacon butts and Liffey Water, prior to our joust against the
dung beetles! [Ed: Presumably a reference to the sheep]  Tom arrived late (so!), and
Mick Brown even later - to a rather uncomfortable reception.

Well, I'd walked the Winning Ways [Ed: Plypin's perambulatory equivalent of lucky
pants], and we still got a bad result against the trotters - but Mick was there and he
hasn't been to the match for many a year. In more enlightened times, people were
burned at the stake for suspicion of less. Fortunately for him, the canal was too far
away for a ducking, so the only items to get a roasting were Madge's chicken legs - or
rather the chicken legs roasted by Madge.

So, once more, The Winning Ways it had to be - 1500 steps in all, give or take -
followed by 7 x 14 steps to reach the summit that is now Tier Two. With 4 home games
in less than a fortnight, my thighs are starting to resemble those of Mark Hughes -
and my lugs those of Billy Beaumont (WHAT!? You're going to THAT football - AGAIN?).
Reasonably satisfied that angles of adversity had been safely covered, I settled down
in hopeful anticipation of a good result.

But, who is sat next to me? Not my normal neighbour, the 6' 8" beanpole from Brighton
- but Jonah, of IMUSA! It was one of those moments, where you hoped that the whale had
kept its gob shut. Anyway, as the match progressed, the Stretford End - in particular
- got more edgy and vociferous. Once Ruud stepped up to take that pen, it was game
over - similarly when Juan Seba curled it round the wall, only to see it bounce out
from the inside of the post.

I have never been a particular aficionado of the hopscotch formation, and much prefer
to see 2 strikers - and 2 wingers when we are at home. Once more, Ole came on and did
the biz, and Flyin' Ryan almost lived up to his name - for once - and bagged an
unlikely 2nd in the last minute.

That's it, said Jonah in injury time - evidently off for a gargle. 'I've had a fiver
at 19-1 on Giggsy to score the last goal - see you later.'

He was probably still within earshot, when his ton turned to scrap paper - What's in a
name?

Alex

[Ed: A Red News dictionary of Plypinisms is in the pipeline]

---------------------------------
[19] Odds for Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 26, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:

RedHotTip has the following advice ahead of Saturday's match:

"Have a punt you stingy c*nt."

Well nobody can deny those words of wisdom flowing from his huge goblet.

JOHN CLEESE SPECIALS - EH?

Eirik The Viking - Eirik Bakke To Score At Anytime v Man Utd
Eirik The Viking    9/2

Time Bandits - Man Utd To Score In Either Half Injury Time
Time Bandits    9/2

The Holy Grail - Charlton To Come From Behind To Beat Liverpool
The Holy Grail    7/1

Fierce Creatures - 2 Or More Sendings Off In Any Saturday Match
Fierce Creatures    3/1

UNITED TO WIN

RedHotTip says: Not worth a bet on us unless you've got a large packet (of dosh) or go
for a multiple bet.

Manchester United    4/5
Leeds    3/1
Draw    9/4

Line a bookie's pocket (or maybe even your own) (
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) here

YOU KNOW THE SCORE ...

RedHotTip: 3-1 to United ... change the record

Manchester Utd v Sheep - Correct Score

1-0   6/1
2-0   6/1
2-1   7/1
3-0   12/1
3-1   11/1
3-2   25/1
4-0   33/1
4-1   33/1
4-2   50/1

Empty your bank account here (
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) here

HALF TIME : FULL TIME

RedHotTip: Classic United?  Us to come from behind (Mrs): Half Time : Sheep, Full Time
- United 25/1.  Worth 50p  of anyone's money (well yours preferably).

Manchester United   :  Manchester United   13/8
Manchester United   :  Draw   16/1
Manchester United   :  Sheep   25/1
Draw   :  Manchester United   4/1
Draw   :  Draw   4/1
Draw   :  Sheep   8/1
Sheep   :  Manchester United   25/1
Sheep   :  Draw   16/1
Sheep   :  Sheep   5/1

Blow the rent money - click me (
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) here

FIRST GOALSCORER

RedHotTip: Once again odds on Blanc obtained by special request from RHT - Blanc 33/1.
Still good odds for a man who is our main threat at corners especially as Ronnie's out
for the next few months. He's got to pull it off at some point (we only used to get a
half time orange - that joke has now made more appearances then David May)

R.Van Nistelrooy    4/1
A.Cole    5/1
O.Solskjaer    5/1
D.Yorke    7/1
P.Scholes    7/1
D.Beckham    10/1
R.Giggs    12/1
J.Veron    12/1
L.Chadwick    16/1
N.Butt    25/1
D.Irwin    33/1
L.Blanc    33/1
W.Brown    50/1
M.Silvestre    50/1
G.Neville    50/1
P.Neville    50/1

Scorecast

RedHotTip:  How about Veron to score first and United to win 3-1    81/1   or  Beckham
& 2-1 to United    66/1

For others see ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 )
 here.

FREE BETS - FOR NEW PUNTERS

If you haven't opened an account with Sporting Odds yet new punters get 2 Free bets -
The first is a Free £10 bet on who will be shown the first card in the game between
Liverpool and Manchester United on Nov 4th. The 2nd is a tenner on the FA Cup after 20
quids worth of bets ... or something - bollocks to that though.

With us at Anfield its got to be a United player - and surely Gary (He Hates Scousers)
Neville will outperform Keano under these circumstances with a pre-emptive strike and
plenty of collateral damage.

Bets from 50p are allowed - with minimum initial credit of a fiver or a tenner
depending on account type. Winnings (what are they?) can be re-credited direct to your
account through your bank card (Switch/Delta etc).

DON'T BE SHY - SLIP IT IN(
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 )  HERE.