---------------------------------
[23] You couldn't make it up
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Don't know if you saw the Big Breakfast this morning but there was some kind of UK
soap awards last night and one of the winners was our Curley, what did he say?

".. after twenty five years it's a great pleasure to win something."

Derek

---------------------------------
[22] Money men on United
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Nigel Hawkins, football analyst at Williams de Broe:

"As far as the Premier League is concerned, it is getting more and more unbalanced.
There's going to be tremendous pressure on whoever takes over at United to keep up
standards on the field."

---------------------------------
[21] Gill on players wages
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I don't see there being a formal cap as such. We spend a lot of time in negotiating
our players' wages and ensuring exactly where they sit. A cap sounds good in theory,
and has been introduced by some US clubs but, for us, the issue is that we are more
than just a UK club - we are in competition with other European clubs, so any cap
would really have to be Europe-wide."

---------------------------------
[20] I know, I know, fat chance
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
But if you don't ask. A number of the RN team - like everyone else - is still short of
a Sunderland ticket. This includes some of the lads (Nige, Phil) who haven't missed a
game in years. If anyone did come across a spare Utd end ticket let us know at the
usual. Thanks!

---------------------------------
[19] More from Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I am happier than I was but still not completely happy that we are playing as we
should be. There is no doubt that we still have a lot of work to do before we get up
to the standard people expect of us. I said we needed some big signings and the
manager delivered. But you can't expect two or three new faces to sort everything out
overnight."You cannot go 3-0 down in the Champions League and expect to get anything
out of it. We should know, because we were 2-0 adrift against Bayern Munich last
season and could not salvage it, and 3-0 behind to Real Madrid and on our way out the
season before. The foundation for any good team has to be keeping clean sheets. But
you attack as a team and defend in the same way. It is a shared responsibility and we
gave the ball away far too easily against Deportivo last week."

---------------------------------
[18] Culkin on the move?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Livingston interested in him according to the Daily Record.

---------------------------------
[17] For a future issue of Red News
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
We're looking for your memories of great Utd come-backs from the past.

Not just the obvious big games but ones from yesteryear that stand out and that you
were at - anyone who can send us their own short personal memory of the game,
atmosphere, your feelings, etc, the time please send to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The more the better, so send them in!

---------------------------------
[16] Veron, Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Is Carling Opta Player of the Month.

---------------------------------
[16] Keane on Manchester
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
He was speaking at the launch of the tickets for the Commonwealth games.

"Living in Manchester and playing for United, this is a really exciting time. It is
great news for the city."

---------------------------------
[15] Keane - must improve
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I don't think you are ever entirely satisfied. Even when we won the Treble we were
looking to improve. We are trying to win the league for the fourth year on the run,
which has never been done before. I certainly think we have the squad capable of
winning trophies but we cannot keep climbing mountains all the time. We have Liverpool
during the 80s as our example. Look at them, winning  seven or eight championships and
four European Cups. That's what we have to aspire to and that's what we have to go out
and do. We know we have a lot of work to do."

---------------------------------
[14] More from Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Everyone would love to watch 5-3 games each week but against the top teams you will
come unstuck. We have many talented players going forward. But you defend as a team as
well as attacking as one — and last week against La Coruna we gave it away too easily.
It's great to  talk about the game at the weekend but you wouldn't want to put
yourselves through that every week. We did that too many times in Europe last year and
gave ourselves too many mountains to climb. You can get away with it in the
Premiership now and then but against the best sides in Europe you can't do it. When
you are 3-0 down you have to be gung-ho — but you have to be more cautious in the
first place, especially against the decent sides. I know we played like that when we
won the Treble but that was a crazy season — it will never happen again and we had a
lot of luck."

---------------------------------
[13] Phil Nev on Captain Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"David has taken his game to a new level since being made captain and has thrived on
the responsibility that comes with it. When Peter Taylor gave him the captaincy for
the Italy game last year, I know how much of an honour it was for David. He was never
talked about as captaincy material before then, but has proved everyone wrong since
being given the role. He has matured both on and off the pitch and the responsibility
has brought out the best in his game. He's scored more goals for England and commands
the respect of the players."

---------------------------------
[12] Keane on next week
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Next week when we go to Olympiakos I don't think we'd like to be three down at
half-time. We simply can't do it."

---------------------------------
[11] Keane still not happy
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"After what was said last season we have brought in new players, and that is good, but
I am still not happy - I don't think we can be yet. I would say it has not happened
for us yet. When I said things needed to change, I meant new faces, and we have
brought in a couple. But you can't expect two or three new players to sort things out
overnight. They have done their bit, but the players already at the club have to work
every bit as hard as before, if not harder, because we are trying to win the league
for a fourth successive time as well as the Champions League"

---------------------------------
[10] Stam to sue?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror. Come on Jaap, leave it out.

'JAAP STAM is ready to take legal action against Manchester United  following his
astonishing exit from Old Trafford.  The Dutch defender has contacted a London
solicitor because he is growing increasingly bitter about his £16.6million sale to
Lazio. Stam, 29, signed a five-year contract worth £35,000 a week with United in
February.

The new deal would have brought him more than £9m over the course of the contract and
it is believed Stam wants a substantial settlement from United. Stam is also furious
at the way the club sold him just weeks after The Mirror serialised his explosive
autobiography, Head To Head. He has told friends he believes he was unfairly "fired"
by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and it is understood he is exploring legal ways of
gaining revenge. This could see the player suing United for breach of contract or
constructive dismissal.'

---------------------------------
[9] Red News public information service
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
You can still obtain remaining copies of Red News' Fergie Special for just £2.50
including postage and packing from Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG. A
tribute for his last year in charge - this is simply our memories, thoughts, magic
moments, photos, to the great man and what we consider a must have.

You can also obtain copies in Sportspages brances in Manchester and London and both
shops now have stock of our unique Che Govanor t-shirt.

---------------------------------
[8] Compare and contrast
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to the Birdman for locating the city annual figures - and David Bernstein's
statement for the audit. Slightly different to our own...

"Following two excellent seasons and back-to-back promotions it is
extremely disappointing to have to report and reflect on a poor season and relegation
to the First Division of the Football League. Last year I stated that "the prospects
ahead are enticing" and "of the need to build a long term future in the Premier
League." We now face a different prospect. We will need to recreate momentum and
confidence to mount an immediate challenge. It is obviously of the greatest importance
to the Club and our supporters that our Premier League status is regained with minimum
delay. We believed that our strengthened squad would compete at the top level and the
first ten matches (14 points) seemed to bear this out. However six straight defeats
followed and we never recovered. We spent GBP16 million on
new players all with Premier League experience. The squad did not integrate as well as
we hoped and this, combined with very poor home form, inability to defend a lead and a
series of individual errors cost us dearly. Eventually we were relegated by 8 points.
After considerable internal debate and analysis we decided to part
company with our Manager, Joe Royle. There is no need for me to add to my statement at
the time of Joe's departure. I would only like to thank him for his excellent work
over the previous two seasons. He left the Club in much better shape than he found it.
 Looking for a new Manager proved to be surprisingly simple. Although we were
inundated with applicants, we were totally focussed on one
possibility, Kevin Keegan. His enthusiasm for Manchester City and his recognition of
our potential greatly encouraged us. His record as a club manager, player and
personality is outstanding.  Kevin has impressed not only with his enthusiasm and
motivational ability but with his professionalism and eye for detail. He clearly needs
time to assess our squad and see them in action but I know he will not settle for
second best...

This season will be something of a watershed for our Club. If we can
make an immediate return to the Premier League then last season's relegation will be
seen as a short term set back against a background of real and long term progress. If
we are not successful then the pressures, particularly financial, will steadily mount.
The Club has made immense progress. Our infrastructure, quality of
management (both football and general), new stadium, training facilities and Academy
are all of Premiership quality. Our support is unique. We have a strong squad and
therefore a great opportunity. We need to deliver."

---------------------------------
[7] United confirm shortlist for the next boss
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
David Gill, again: "We have a shortlist and it's not that long. The critical process
of appointing a new manager will begin early next year but I'm not going to go into
details."

---------------------------------
[6] Butt fit
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
and ready to join the England sqaud for Saturday's game at OT.

---------------------------------
[5] Vieira on him and Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Exclusive Red News translation by Marc

speaking on french TV :

- the journo : where could you have gone in the summer? Juventus?
Manchester?
- PV : Juventus was possible, Manchester was another possibility. It would  have been
hard to some to come to Manchester with the Arsenal supporters, but with time people
forget.
- the journo : Keane-Vieira in midfield...
- PV : yeah, that would have been been something...when we play against each  others,
it's hot!

---------------------------------
[4] Gill has pop at MUTV co-owners?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
MUTV posted a loss of £700,000

"It's more of a concern on Sky and Granda's part than Manchester United. We are not
ashamed or afraid of them."

---------------------------------
[3] Gill thinks Utd can grow and grow
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
David Gill, Utd's money, money, money man

"Has the club reached the summit of its success? We hope not and we don't believe so.
We have the 13-year, £303 million alliance with Nike, and our new rage of financial
services products under the MU Finance brand. I believe there are still many
opportunities left for us to explore over the coming years. We don't think we have
reached our peak, there is an ongoing vision which we still strive for."

And strikes fear into the hardcore...

---------------------------------
[2] Ruud speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Exclusive from our Dutch correspondent, Jan

'A dutch tv station (RTL 5) shows the highlights on Saturday evening (and live
coverages on Sunday and Monday) and after the United game they had an interview with
RVN.

This is what he said about it with a big smile:

"It's amazing, at half time in the dressing room they were relaxed and said if we can
score an early goal we can beat them. Well you have seen what happened. And the noise
the away supporters make, brilliant. Every week something special happens here, I'm
enjoying every minute of it."

---------------------------------
[1] A sign of the times
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
That Utd fans were greeted on arrival at the lower Tier of the away end at Spurs by
police with sniffer dogs.

---------------------------------
[41] Money, money, money
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, October 1, 2001 by bar-knee:
Extract from article on how badly clubs - Utd apart - are doing on the stock market.
From Soccernet

*The average market value of a quoted Premiership football club, excluding Manchester
United, has dropped to £28.5m, or the same as the cost to the champions of buying Juan
Sebastian Veron.

*Indeed, were anyone crazy enough to do so, they could buy both Southampton and
Leicester City for the same cost as the Argentine midfielder.

[40] More on Becks deal
Posted Monday, October 1, 2001 by bar-knee: