This was requested (by myself and others) during a beta when moving from
the old Bezier node to the "new" RotoPaint, it was purely a request for
workflow/customization and readability reasons.

Using a RotoPaint for masks implies on more clicking around, prevents you
from having a default that works for both scenarios, gives you more UI
itens than you actually need and makes your DAG less readable since you
can't actually differentiate what is purely masks from what is paint or
both.

There should be no difference between the two in terms of performance.