Hi Frank,

Nice to meet you mate. I'm aware of the auto label functionality and
channel indicators in Nuke but reading the channels a node is affecting on
its label or indicators isn't the same as figuring out what that node is
actually doing, hence the request for a Roto only node at that time. It's
faster to recognize what is shape/roto only from what could be or include
painting which tends to bog down scripts.

Back in the day Nuke was moving from a Bezier node where we had a single
shape per node and a alpha version of a Paint only node that was far from
great, to a "do it all" RotoPaint node. People felt divided and the
solution came in the form of a streamlined Roto only version of the
RotoPaint that was introduced into Nuke 6.1.

My point was that for what I know there should be no difference between the
two in terms of performance or functionality while talking exclusively
about shapes (bezier, b-spline, open splines) since they are the same and
share the same bits of code.

As for performance, I think it's fair to say that the fewer channels a Node
> operates on the faster that Node will be.

I would say it's more than fair, it's pretty much a certainty :)

Cheers,
Diogo