On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Darren J Moffat wrote:

> Basically I'm saying it isn't that easy you must consult a real
> lawyer.  We inside Sun have to consult a lawyer every time we
> want to add any free/open source software into a Sun product.

That is completely unrealistic for the typical open source contributor.
They are gracious enough to put in their own effort now you expect them to
hire a lawyer?  What will really happen is that the developer is going to
say, "The hell with it.  Why should I get involved with OpenSolaris if I
have to hire a lawyer if all I want to do is help out by porting a few
drivers?"

My suggestion to Eric is to just contact the author like he thought about
already and go from there.

Bill
rushmores.net