Bill Rushmore wrote:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Darren J Moffat wrote:
Basically I'm saying it isn't that easy you must consult a real
lawyer.  We inside Sun have to consult a lawyer every time we
want to add any free/open source software into a Sun product.

That is completely unrealistic for the typical open source contributor.
They are gracious enough to put in their own effort now you expect them to
hire a lawyer?  What will really happen is that the developer is going to
say, "The hell with it.  Why should I get involved with OpenSolaris if I
have to hire a lawyer if all I want to do is help out by porting a few
drivers?"

This isn't an OpenSolaris requirement the same issue works for
any open source development where there are multiple licenses.

The only real safe answer is proper legal advice.  Since I'm
not a lawyer I can't give that however...

BSD, generally no issues.
GPL, major issues for drivers if the intent is to included it
in the official OpenSolaris source tree - its a project based license.

GPL as a standalone driver written to the Solaris DDI shouldn't
be a problem as long as it stays under the GPL.  However there isn't
much change of that becoming part of the official OpenSolaris source
tree unless someone discovers how to combine GPL and CDDL sources
(one being project based the other being file based) without
breaking the licenses.

--
Darren J Moffat