I doubt that was the case of the Epson RD-1, or any Voightlander Bessa
film model for that matter as they were aimed directly at the existing
Leica s and l lens base.  I doubt that Cosina doesn't at least break
even, (cover R&D, all manufacturing costs and return on investment),  on
every unit sold.  They have to  or they wouldn't stay in business  for
long.

Anthony Farr wrote:
> Actually, what I was trying to say is that the price of DSLRs is not the
> real, standalone price of a unique product.  It is a subsidised price,
> where the manufacturer will accept a reduced profit or even a loss in
> order to tap the more lucrative lens sales that should ensue, or to deny
> a sale to a rival.
>
> If you propose a product that quarantines the manufacturer from his
> extended income, and he sees that he cannot hope to sell enough cameras
> at the real, unsubsidised price to break even, then he won't bother at
> all to bring it to market.  The only way to circumvent this situation is
> to emulate the Arabian prince, and privately fund the project up front
> with no profit motive attached.  The maker could, probably would still
> decline the commission as it would not enhance his position in his
> chosen marketplace.
>
> Personally, I've always liked modular cameras, and would jump at the
> multi-platform camera described elsewhere in this thread.  But that
> faces the same hurdle as a dedicated M42 DSLR.  I don't believe any
> maker wants to assist their own customers to purchase lucrative
> accessories from a competitor.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony Farr

The more I know of men, the more I like my dog.
                        -- Anne Louise Germaine de Stael