From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Anthony Farr
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:50 AM
To: 'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'
Subject: RE: 85mm f1.8 SMCT on ebay : $400+

Actually, what I was trying to say is that the price of DSLRs is not the
real, standalone price of a unique product.  It is a subsidised price,
where the manufacturer will accept a reduced profit or even a loss in
order to tap the more lucrative lens sales that should ensue, or to deny
a sale to a rival.

If you propose a product that quarantines the manufacturer from his
extended income, and he sees that he cannot hope to sell enough cameras
at the real, unsubsidised price to break even, then he won't bother at
all to bring it to market.  The only way to circumvent this situation is
to emulate the Arabian prince, and privately fund the project up front
with no profit motive attached.  The maker could, probably would still
decline the commission as it would not enhance his position in his
chosen marketplace.

Personally, I've always liked modular cameras, and would jump at the
multi-platform camera described elsewhere in this thread.  But that
faces the same hurdle as a dedicated M42 DSLR.  I don't believe any
maker wants to assist their own customers to purchase lucrative
accessories from a competitor.

Regards,
Anthony Farr