On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:30:05PM +0100, Bob W wrote:
> > >Don't you have any kind of consumer protection over there? I
> > mean, for
> > >a retailer to be allowed to turn away a faulty product after
> > a week or
> > >so is disgraceful.
> > >
> > >Last August - 10 months ago - I bought a netbook from amazon.co.uk.
> > >It's been heavily used since then, on a daily basis. Last week it
> > >stopped working and today I found out it's a problem with the
> > >motherboard, so I phoned Amazon, told them the problem and they said
> > >'ok, send it back. That model's no longer available so we'll
> > refund you
> > >in full'. I told them I was going to wipe the hard disk first, to
> > >remove all personal data, and they were fine with that.
> > >
> > >Great service, but they are in any case obliged by law in
> > Europe to do this.
> >
> > But surely that's why we pay a hefty premium - because our
> > first point of complaint is with the retailer.

I bought my G11 a few weeks ago at BestBuy in Virginia.  While in New York on
business I accidentally spilled a collegues
cocktail all over it.  Needless to say it stopped working.  I went back to
BestBuy on my return, after gathering the
original receipt and packaging, and told the return clerk that the camera
"stopped working after a week."
He appologized and replaced the camera without asking any further questions.

--

Christian