I have to differ a bit with you on this Bill.  Mostly agree. There are
customers who set out to rip off retailers. Those who purchase an item
for the time they need to use it and then return it, for example.

It was not Steve it was Christian with the G11, according to the way I read. :-)

IMO, there was no dishonesty involved.  He brought the item back
stating it stopped working. That was true. He was not asked anything
further.

Best Buy simply returns the item as defective, Canon refurbishes, and
yes somewhere, somehow, on this individual item profit is diminished,
but then again as you point out... maybe not since the pricing of the
item was in place before the camera was purchased and returned. That
being the case, one could reasonably argue there's no loss suffered at
all, as Canon has a rough statistical idea of how many cameras will be
returned, regardless of reason.

Sears, as you know has made it a practice on their Craftsman hand
tools to replace items, no receipt, no questions asked, regardless of
how the item was abused. Do we pay for that policy at the get go when
purchasing a Craftsman hand tool? Yes we do.  But I, for one, like the
idea that I can use a flat blade screwdriver for a crowbar and when it
breaks I simply walk in and say 'it broke'. Salesman says 'Oh, OK go
get another'. It's proven to be a successful policy, as far as I can
tell.

The system also works because that extra nickel, dime, dollar, that's
tacked on by the mfr. and/or retailer is so often not used up, and
extra profit is generated by it. So who's benefiting?

Tom C.