On 5/19/2010 2:45 AM, Christian Skofteland wrote:
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:30:05PM +0100, Bob W wrote:
Don't you have any kind of consumer protection over there? I
mean, for
a retailer to be allowed to turn away a faulty product after
a week or
so is disgraceful.

Last August - 10 months ago - I bought a netbook from amazon.co.uk.
It's been heavily used since then, on a daily basis. Last week it
stopped working and today I found out it's a problem with the
motherboard, so I phoned Amazon, told them the problem and they said
'ok, send it back. That model's no longer available so we'll
refund you
in full'. I told them I was going to wipe the hard disk first, to
remove all personal data, and they were fine with that.

Great service, but they are in any case obliged by law in
Europe to do this.

But surely that's why we pay a hefty premium - because our
first point of complaint is with the retailer.
I bought my G11 a few weeks ago at BestBuy in Virginia.  While in New York on
business I accidentally spilled a collegues
cocktail all over it.  Needless to say it stopped working.  I went back to
BestBuy on my return, after gathering the
original receipt and packaging, and told the return clerk that the camera "stopped
working after a week."
He appologized and replaced the camera without asking any further questions.

If the retailer refuses to take it back he's a bad guy. Yet I think, (understatement), spilling a drink on it voids the warranty, and rightly so.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}