I agree strongly with John Sowa in his last message.

In my book, Dark Matter of the Mind: The Culturally Articulated Unconscious, I
discuss points related to these at length. Our bodies are constantly
registering experiences in ways that we may not be aware of, “apperceptionally”
in William James’s terms. Anything that anyone says overtly must be evaluated
in light of our tacit knowledge.

This applies to Peirce. When he uses a term, we can only understand it in terms
of his culture, context, previous writings, and overall philosophy.

Back in the days when I was religious and was concerned greatly about biblical
exegesis, context was debated even then. Many of the wacko doctrines of some
denominations are based on the belief that words can be studied apart from the
“dark matter” of one’s mind (culture in this sense is dark matter overlap), as
that forms values, knowledge structures, and social roles.

Peirce must be understood in this larger sense, not merely by taking what some
theologians call “proof texts”, verses out of context from a larger body.

I take no stand on what role illative had to Peirce after 1911. But the answer
can only come from understanding his objectives overall, his context - what was
he reading, who was he writing, what was he writing, etc.

I am always impressed by the knowledge, however, of technical details of
Peirce’s work shown on this list. But we should not forget that for Peirce this
was all a means to an end of understanding. He abandoned anything he came to
consider a detriment to that understanding. That quest was to me what he meant
by the “melody of thought” (such a brilliant phase). I am speaking on dark
matter and music at a music understanding conference in Switzerland this summer
(I hope) and that phrase will be in the paper.

Dan