>       Additionally, having to install a large PDB or ebook directly onto
> external storage is a very attractive option for me, and for some users who
> I've talked to about it, without having to locate and install third-party
> software.

Dunno if there are Linux drivers for such things but most media
formats have external readers that plug into USB.  I use a ZiO
SmartMedia reader on Windoze to load up large docs for my
Visor's MemPlug SmartMedia adapter.  The ZiO cost me < $30 (US).

ZiO:      http://www.microtechint.com
MemPlug:  http://www.memplug.com

There are dozens of brands of such readers.

--Hal