> ZiO:      http://www.microtechint.com

The ZiO hasn't been useful to me on linux up to 2.4.9 or so, but I
replaced it with the (more usefully shaped) TravelFlash --
cyberguys.com has it for $30.  Size of a cassette tape (a what? :-)
and does CF, SD, and MMC; they all just appear as scsi devices under
linux -- almost works in the 2.2.19 backport, but not quite -- works
*fine* in any 2.4.x I tried it with, though.  (The shell includes a
little stub of USB cable, which works nicely for plugging into a
laptop *without* having another cable to attach to it, and it fits in
a pocket better.)

> There are dozens of brands of such readers.

Finding units that *work with linux* is a bit harder; some of the
vendors (microtechint among them) aren't too open with specs...