PasTim wrote:
> I have had an intermittent problem for some months now and have failed
> to track down the cause.  I'm posting here on the off-chance that the
> cause might be related to plugins.
>
> What happens is that once in a while when I play a series of tracks,
> each track pauses briefly around 10 seconds before the end.  A reboot of
> my server fixes the problem, until the next time, which could be in days
> or weeks.
>
> The LMS server log says nothing.  The linux log likewise.  The LMS
> scanner log has nothing either (just in case a scan had been triggered
> in some way).
>
> Having failed to find a cause I wondered whether there is anything in
> any of the additional plugins, such as trackstat, custom browse or
> custom scan that could be triggered just before the end of each track?
>
> Some of my custom browse menus (such as Works by Composer, much as your
> wiki on the classical topic proposes) can, on first selecting them,
> cause a heck of a lot of processing and disrupt any track currently
> playing, but once the data has been loaded into memory they don't cause
> any further bother, so I don't find this to be a problem.   The
> intermittent and unexpected drop-out just before the end of each track
> is, however, quite maddening.
>
> I know I could turn on some more logging, but I have no idea what -
> there are so many logs to choose from, and since the problem is
> unpredictable I don't really want to fill up my system with useless
> logs.
>
> Apart from looking at plugins I have looked at loads of other things,
> including the format I'm sending the data in (FLAC or PCM), my wired
> network, the Touch firmware, and so on. Changes to these have made no
> difference whatsoever.  So I'm pretty sure the problem is in the server
> since a reboot immediately fixes the problem without touching anything
> else.
>
> With apologies for even suggesting there could be an issue with the
> plugins, but I'm at a loss to know where else to look.

Do you see the issue when you are doing something with the system with a
remote, smartphone app or web interface ?
Is it occurring in Dynamic Playlist plugin playlists or Random Mix
playlists or when you just play an album normally ?
Do you use Custom Skip plugin ? If so, what kind of skipping filter have
you configured it with ?

If the problem is in Dynamic Playlist plugin playlists, there is a
parameter "Delay before adding new songs" in Dynamic Playlist settings
page that controls how long Dynamic Playlist will wait after a new song
has been played until it try to find new songs to add to the dynamic
playlist. If Dynamic Playlist tries to retrieve new tracks at the time
and its query takes long, it can definitely cause issues like this, but
as default it should do it approximately 60 seconds after the track has
started so it feels a bit strange that it happens at the end of the
tracks unless it's caused on very short tracks.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
You may also want to try my Android apps 'Squeeze Display'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.squeezedisplay)
and 'RSS Photo Show'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.rssphotoshow)
*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.