> "Ye ferget, Alex," Philip shifted into the next gear and easily maneuvered
> through the traffic to get to the ferry "I'm a saint, not a martyr -- an'
I
> wa' hell on wheels before I got the callin' te be a priest."
>
> He had been a lot of things, he thought to himself with an inward grimace
as
> they reached the ferry and he pulled in to park, leaving the engine on as
> they waited.
>
> He looked in the rear view mirror and saw Nick's car pulling up next.
>
> The clouds over the island were getting even darker...
>
> *tap tap tap*
>
> The sound of someone knocking on his window made him start, then he rolled
> down his window and greeted the ferry man "How're ye tonight, Bill?"
>
> Billy nodded at the clouds, his face creased in an old worried frown "I
> think you'll be tonight's last run by the looks of that.  I'm half tempted
> to have you all wait on the mainland for safety's sake..."
>
> Philip swallowed "We cannae do tha', Bill.  We mus' get to th' house now."
>
> Billy nodded "I know... the lady with Mister Boyle said as much when they
> pulled in.  I just hope we don't get hit."
>
> Philip made the sign of the cross to which Billy mirrored and went on his
> way.
>
> "We better not." Philip murmured under his breath, waiting as the ferry
> started to move.
>
Alex did the same.  They needed all the help they could get right now. She
vague wished that she'd known Philip before he went to seminary, though she
doubted he was all that different than he was now.  She had a pretty good
idea that he kept the bishops and other higher ups at the church on their
toes.  She looked up at the sky as the ferry began to move willing the
clouds away and knowing that was pretty useless, but at least it was
something to occupy her mind.  "We've going to have to put you on the Nascar
circuit," she told Philip.  "Either that or drag racing.  I think you might
have missed your calling," she grinned at him.

Alex

Reply via email to