> In this case there is no quota and the user has 40 msg in the inbox but
> this is the only one that is being downloaded time after time.  And there
> have been messages received after this one was and those do not get
> downloaded again.  Very weird if you ask me.

Which messages to download, which to leave on server, and which to delete
from server, is under control of the mail client.  It issues RETR and DELE
commands and the mailserver does as told.  If you are saying that messages
before and after have been downloaded and do not get downloaded again, but
this one gets downloaded repeatedly, then Outlook is confused thinking this
message is new.  Maybe it using UIDL and the ID is corrupted.

If it is a one-time rather than recurring problem, why not just delete the
offending message from the mailspool and be done with it?