RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie: Ryan to continue in midfield?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"We know what Ryan can do."

"His pace and balance is always going to be a threat to defences. But when our
midfield was decimated last season Ryan produced the maturity and experience
which was so vital.

"He is a fantastic option for us in central midfield, but we also have the
option of using him as a forward."

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie on injuries last season
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"What we do need is a bit of a break at the start of the season, because
long-term injuries have been crippling us.

"By the end of September last year, we already had six players out; then we
lost Ryan Giggs with a fractured cheekbone, Paul Scholes suffered his eye
problem and Alan Smith picked up that horrendous injury at Liverpool.

"They were all unusual injuries, the type you do not expect, and in each case
it put the player out for months.

"In terms of the title, if we can avoid those injuries in the early part of the
season I think we will have a massive chance."

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie softening us up for no arrivals?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"I am not unhappy with my squad as it is."

"We are trying to sign a couple of players who would give us something
different and bring a bit of variety to our play.

"But when you look back at our form over the latter half of last season, I am
not unhappy with the players I have."

---------------------------------
[15] Rooney on gambling
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"I never really knew how much I was down. But I had an idea I was doing badly
and so did what most gamblers do: I chased my bets and tried to recoup my
losses by putting on even bigger sums.

"One night in February 2006, before we were about to play at Blackburn, I was
at the team hotel when I received a text message from Mike saying I would have
to do something about my balance."

"I blame myself, not the bookmaker. It was me who put on the bets. No one
forced me."

---------------------------------
[14] Darren on priorities
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
“Every season is a big season at Manchester United.”

“You are not just expected to win one trophy but two or three.

“We won the League Cup last year but we are looking to go on to bigger and
better things. The Premiership is our priority.”

---------------------------------
[13] Darren on start to season
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"The start is important because if you are playing catch-up for the rest of the
season its hard.”

“At least the one thing we did manage last season was to finish second, so we
do not have the distraction of playing in the Champions League qualifiers
before the Premiership starts.

“We have three or four weeks of the league before we even have to think about
Europe.”

---------------------------------
[12] Darren on the competition
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
“Maybe there will be a new midfielder.

“This is Manchester United. There are new players coming in all the time.

“The club need to buy players to progress. It is all part of being here.

“But the situation is fair. If you are performing the manager will pick you.”

---------------------------------
[11] Scousers rob one of their own
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
>From the BBC:

Football memorabilia belonging to England star Wayne Rooney has been stolen in
a burglary at his parents' home in Liverpool.

England caps, a World Cup 2006 shirt and his BBC Young Sports Personality of
the Year Trophy were taken.

Merseyside Police said the items were taken from the house in Sandfield Park,
West Derby, on Saturday night.

The public have been asked to contact police if they are offered the items in
the pub or over the internet.

The Man Utd forward won the BBC trophy in 2002 while he was still an Everton
player.

Broken ankle

Among the other items stolen were some jewellery and a shirt from the FA Cup
Final.

A police spokeswoman described the stolen items as "very distinctive".

The burglary follows a turbulent few months for the 20-year-old striker.

In April he broke a metatarsal bone in his right foot against Chelsea
threatening his place in the World Cup finals.

After intensive treatment accompanied by heightened media scrutiny he
eventually played for England in the tournament.

But he finished it in disgrace when he was sent off for an apparent stamp on a
Portuguese opponent in England's quarter final defeat on penalties.

---------------------------------
[10] Rummenigge: Ruud wants to go to Bayern
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"Van Nistelrooy has told us he would like to play for us next season."
Rummenigge told the Bild newspaper.

"We have already spoken about money with him but it would be United who will
finally decide."

---------------------------------
[9] Jol on Carrick
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"We had an offer for Carrick and everybody knows that.

"Hopefully he will be our player next season.

"He came back on Friday with the other internationals and it was good to see
him. So Michael is still one of our players. He will be involved in pre-season.

"But as for whether we would accept £20million, I can't comment on that."

---------------------------------
[8] Fergie on Roon & Ron
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"There is no rift between Wayne and Cristiano."

"I know Wayne has been in touch with Cristiano and I don't anticipate any
problems."

---------------------------------
[7] Fergie on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"Ruud asked away before the Arsenal FA Cup final last year, then asked away
through his representative, and has now asked away himself in writing."

"Quite frankly, if he wants to leave, there really is no point trying to
persuade him to stay.

"I couldn't tell you why he wants to leave or why his heart isn't in it - all I
can tell you is that he has asked away and we have accepted that."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie on replacing Roy
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"The main issue for me is the composition of the midfield.

"When you lose a player like Roy, which was always going to happen as he was
getting older, you need a replacement."

---------------------------------
[5] Something for the beach sir?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
Red News Summer Edition. RN 126. Out July 17th.

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

To order click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

5 Red News' from last season for JUST £5 INCLUDING p&p in UK... £9 ROW...

Order here - product code 5OFFER

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Subscribe to Red News.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

NEW UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

Back Issues

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm

---------------------------------
[4] Fat Sam on Quinton
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"I was happy with Quinton."

"He has got Premiership experience and is a fantastic player.

"He has now played nearly 60 minutes and, for me, that's enough. I'm hopeful we
can now get him to put pen-to-paper on Monday.

"His problem has always been - certainly last year - that he hasn't been able
to stay fit.

"Our backroom boys have taken up the challenge and given him a lot of
individual work before the rest of the players started back.

"That has enabled him to continue all the way through the rest of the
pre-season with the rest of the lads."

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie on Carrick
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
''The bid for Michael Carrick was an attempt to do some fundamental business
before the World Cup."

"But Tottenham turned it down and said they are looking at something
approaching double what we offered.

"In that situation, I can understand them wanting to play the long game. But we
have put a value on Michael and we will not go above that."

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie on transfers
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
"Fans want to see new signings and a new face which makes a difference to our
play and bring more success," said Ferguson.

"We are trying to sign a couple of players who would add variety to our play.
They are different types of players to the ones we have and that would only
strengthen us.

"But, at the end of the day, we will not be stupid. I am quite adamant about
that."

---------------------------------
[1] Fergie on tour
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006 by tb:
We got exactly what we expected out of the tour. This has been a great
experience for some of our players. They have come out here, been part of the
first-team squad and worked really hard.

"Of the 19 players I had on this trip, 15 could play for the next 10 years.
Hopefully, they will do that at Manchester United. The result is no surprise,
however, considering my record in penalty shoot-outs over the years! We still
have pride in our performance, though, and we wanted to win the trophy."

---------------------------------
[3] Ole offer from Brondby?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 22, 2006 by tb:
The Mirror:

OLE Gunnar Solskjaer is facing the biggest dilemma of his Manchester United
career after being offered an amazing pay deal by Danish club Brondby.

Manchester United stalwart Solskjaer, 33, has spent the last 10 years at Old
Trafford and has been the club's most loyal servant after snubbing several
big-money moves.

Solskjaer has battled his way back through a string of career-threatening
injuries and has never complained despite spending most of his United career as
a supersub.

But Brondby have now offered him a three-year deal worth an incredible £50,000
a week, which would make him the highest-paid player in the club's history -
and would also give him regular football. Brondby head coach Rene Meulensteen
wants Norwegian goalscorer Solskjaer to be the club's big-name signing to boost
their chances in Europe and also attract bumper gates.

Solskjaer has only just signed a new two-year contract extension at United but
will not get a regular starting place at Old Trafford.

Brondby have also been in contact with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson about
taking two of his most promising stars on a season-long loan.

Brondby want former Barcelona trainee Gerard Pique and Italian striker Giuseppe
Rossi.

Ferguson is keen for Rossi and Pique to get Champions League experience but
will only let Rossi go if they are able to strengthen their strike force, with
Dutch hitman Ruud van Nistelrooy's future still uncertain.

---------------------------------
[2] Vierra to Inter?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 22, 2006 by tb:
That's according to the Telegraph.

---------------------------------
[1] Fergie on South Africa and the world Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 22, 2006 by tb:
"You think about the amount of fans who would want to see Germany play Brazil
for instance and you wonder how they could all be accommodated."

"Looking after, and controlling, fans of so many countries is a big challenge,
which is why the fan parks they had in Germany were such a good idea.

"But if the organisers can get that right, and the security, we have seen
ourselves that this is such a fabulous country, and the atmosphere inside the
stadiums so impressive, it could all work really well."

---------------------------------
[27] Fergie on Chelsea
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
"Chelsea have every right to do what is right for their club, just as we have
every right to do what is right for us. I did not say their transfer policy was
bad for the game. It is clearly good for Chelsea. But, if it is correct they
are going to sign 30 African boys, you have to wonder how they are all going to
get a game."

---------------------------------
[26] Ruud to return? We doubt it
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
Fergie

"Ruud is not definitely leaving and I expect to see him at training on Monday.
I spoke to (chief executive) David Gill on the phone yesterday and there is no
development as far as Real Madrid is concerned. They have made an offer, we
have rejected it. That is where the situation lies. If they don't come back in
and increase their offer, he won't be going and I would be content with that.
It would not bother me one bit. He is a striker who can score upwards of 20
goals a season and there are not many of those going around."

---------------------------------
[25] Fergie on experience
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
“For us, we will have more experience, too, because the young players are
maturing. You saw Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney in the World Cup. OK,
Wayne only played a bit but he still had that vital experience of being there.”

Switch to Orange

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/12568736/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=23943&a=608750&g=12568736
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/12568751/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=23943&a=608750&g=12568751
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[24] Further Capello quote
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
“There is no question that I want Van Nistelrooy. The fact Bayern want him
indicates that the entire market is being scoured by Europe’s top clubs looking
to snap up the best players. In the end it will be the player himself who has
the final vote.”

---------------------------------
[23] Telegraph on Glazers
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
'WHEN we revealed a week ago that the Glazer family was renegotiating the debts
of Manchester United with the help of JP Morgan, what was most apparent was the
very strong demand from international investors to take part. Man Utd is a
famous sporting name but it is a long time since the company's equity, aided by
the dotcom boom, was valued at pounds 1bn by the stock market. On and off the
pitch it faces the challenge of Chelsea, and a rehoused and refinanced Arsenal
will add spice to the chase for domestic and European honours this season.
Although our story last week took a while to sink in, most people who had been
left scratching their heads about the Glazers' original maths now realise they
have probably pulled off a bit of a coup. There is a queue of international
investors willing to lend the Glazers cheap money. So far the family has tapped
this demand to pay back a chunk of Man Utd's very expensive and risky Payment
In Kind (PIK) notes - used as a form of bridging finance to gain ownership.

What is also true is that the Glazers have negotiated an option to repay the
rest of the PIK notes. Such a move will further reduce the company's cost of
capital and the burden of debt repayment.

This will boost profitability and the value of the family's pounds 272m equity
stake at the same time. I'm slightly puzzled why the Glazers couldn't or
wouldn't go the whole hog and repay all the PIK notes, thus delivering an even
more efficient balance sheet with an even lower cost of capital. Perhaps they
were limited in how much they could repay at any given time. Anyway, I suspect
the family will not waste any time in repaying the remainder when possible,
enhancing the value of their stake even more. Although the team on the pitch
has been underachieving since the Glazers took over, the family itself is well
on the way to victory.'

---------------------------------
[22] Blake scores
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, scored twice for Plymouth in the defeat of Gratkorn

---------------------------------
[21] Mourinho on his new haircut
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
"You look at my haircut - I am ready for the war"

---------------------------------
[20] MEN on Choccy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
'BRIAN McClair insists that the spectre of the Class of '92 is not an albatross
around his neck as he prepares for his debut campaign as United's Academy chief.

In a year when United have launched the celebration of the Busby Babes and the
Reds' accent on youth, the Scot has been charged with the task of continuing to
produce home-bred youngsters for Old Trafford. On the face of it, the challenge
is a daunting one.

For a start there is the history. United have won the FA Youth Cup a record
nine times and players like Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton, George Best, David
Beckham, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes - to name but a few - have been nurtured
in the famous talent producing system.

Sir Alex Ferguson now has more money at his disposal to provide instant
transfer remedies than in the late 1980s, when he revamped the Reds youth
system in order to crank up a conveyor belt that had been allowed to go rusty.

The global market for young footballers has widened and Fergie has recognised
that.

Late teenagers in the Reds ranks could be as likely to come from Sao Paolo as
Salford, or Buenos Aires as Burnage and the squeeze would appear to be on for
the local boys.

McClair, known as Choccy in his playing days, has been shadowing previous
Academy chief Les Kershaw for 12 months as the latter prepared for
semi-retirement.

But he still believes that, no matter the make-up of United's youth ranks, it
continues to be a fruitful set-up - providing gems for Sir Alex and future
bosses .

"I am looking forward to the challenge," Brian told M.E.N. Sport.

Albatross

"The Class of '92 isn't an albatross. It isn't impossible to do it again.
Spaces opened up for those boys, and if you get the right players it can happen
again. You just never know.

"The club is in a totally different situation now. But the manager has never
wavered in his support for the Academy and the production of young players. We
are passionate about it at this club.

"The manager wants us to scout globally as well. Although the kids couldn't
join us at 16 years of age, there is a wealth of ability out there in places
like Brazil, Argentina and Africa that he wants us to tap into. And of course
there are the Europeans.

"But, understandably, United fans like to see the local boys rise to the top as
well. They have been brought up on that.

"Bringing local talent through is what United has always been about, and it
will continue.

"We want the boys from Manchester to get through as well. Danny Simpson from
Salford is out in South Africa on the first team pre-season tour and is doing
well. Phil Bardsley is another.

"While things have changed with recruitment, there will always be young local
talent making it. I don't think it is any harder now for them than before,
despite how things have evolved in the Academy.

"But when you talk about local boys, it encompasses those who might not
necessarily have been born locally but have been brought through the ranks from
a very young age at Old Trafford.

Senior

"Thus, I think United fans also have pride in the likes of Giuseppe Rossi and
Gerard Pique coming through the ranks to the senior side."

McClair has still Kershaw on his staff on a part-time basis, with Paul
McGuinness, Tony Whelan, Mark Dempsey, Eamonn Malvey and Mike Glennie backing
him up.

"Les assembled a fantastic staff who work extremely well together," added
McClair. "They believe totally in the philosophies of the club and what we are
trying to achieve in the Academy.

"We have lost Rene Meulensteen to Brondby, where he has become their manager,
but he left a very nice legacy.

"He tutored Mark Dempsey and Eamonn Malvey so they can continue the system.

"Les's background was scouting, and he did a lot of that when he was in charge.
But I want to be hands on and take part in sessions. I want to be out there on
the field. It is there you get the understanding of the young players.

"You can never tell how young kids are going to develop. One day you can think
they have done something fantastic, and the next you give them something to do
and you begin to wonder.

"But we think, in United's Academy, that things are going well. I want to
continue that."

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-795737-10379645
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-795737-10380073  Dorm rooms to dreams rooms
from just £7 per night
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[19] Real issue demand
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
Real vice-president Juan Mendoza

 "We’re about to reach the point where we break off all negotiations for Van
Nistelrooy even though the player clearly wants to play for us. It’s time to
make it clear to Manchester United that Real Madrid are not going to be held to
ransom over exorbitant prices. We’ve offered what we think Ruud van Nistelrooy
is worth and there is no way we are going to drive ourselves crazy trying to
meet valuations which don’t bear any relation to the market."

---------------------------------
[18] Fortune to get two year Bolton deal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
from Telegraph

'Quinton Fortune will be handed a two-year contract by Bolton manager Sam
Allardyce if he proves his fitness in Saturday's friendly with Burnley.

The former Manchester United midfielder has been training with Wanderers after
being released from Old Trafford, and Allardyce said: "I think we will have
done the deal after the Burnley game.

"He's not missed a day's training, and has done well, but we just need to be
satisfied from the football point of view."'

---------------------------------
[17] Telegraph on Torres
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
'As United prepare to open transfer negotiations with Atletico Madrid for £25
million-rated forward Torres over the weekend, Ruud van Nistelrooy remains
likely to leave Old Trafford within the next seven days, despite Real Madrid's
failure to meet United's £15 million valuation of the Dutch striker.

United's decision to reject Real's offer of £10.5 million, plus a further £3.5
million depending on the Spanish club's future success, has opened the door for
Bayern Munich to mount a late raid for Van Nistelrooy, who is due to report
back to for pre-season training on Monday should he fail to secure a transfer
within the next 72 hours.'

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie on Chelsea
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
"Ours is a very young squad and we hope to see an improvement that will bring
us closer to challenging Chelsea, because I still think they are the team to
beat. They have added two very experienced players in Ballack and Shevchenko
and they're also talking of signing Roberto Carlos, but I can understand that
in terms of their European challenge. These signings suggest to me that they
are going to concentrate on Europe and try to win that. They want as much
experience as possible and they won't be far away, but we will have more
experience, too, because the young players are maturing and are playing at a
good competitive level. With Juventus and AC Milan out of the way it's a very
open European Cup this year, and you could say that applies to us as well.
There's always huge expectation at our club, and it wouldn't matter if we had
won the league the previous season or two years ago. We always have to win the
league."

---------------------------------
[15] More Juve sales
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 21, 2006 by ed:
from Forbes

'Juventus Football Club SpA said it has closed a deal with the Spanish club FC
Barcelona for the sale of defenders Gianluca Zambrotta and Lilian Thuram for 19
mln eur.

Barcelona will pay 14 mln eur in two years for Zambrotta and 5 mln for Thuram,
also payable in two years.

The news confirms recent press reports, which also said that defender Fabio
Cannavaro and midfielder Emerson will be sold to Real Madrid for about 25 mln
eur, while midfielder Patrick Vieira is expected to join Inter Milan.

According to the daily La Stampa, Vieira is worth 15 mln eur. '

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5042816