RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[25] From official site
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
'Darron Gibson insists he wants to play international football for the Republic
of Ireland, rather than switch allegiances back to Northern Ireland.

The 18-year-old midfielder has played for both nations at youth level but,
after opting to play for the Republic two years ago, is intent on breaking into
the full Eire setup.

Quotes attributed to Sir Alex Ferguson earlier this week tipped both Gibson and
Reds defender Jonny Evans to turn out for the full Northern Ireland side this
season, but Derry-born Gibson has quickly set the record straight.

"I have no intention of changing back to play with Northern Ireland," he
declared.

"It's my dream to play for the Republic and nothing has changed as far as that
is concerned.

"I think this whole thing has come about because Sir Alex made a mistake just
because he knows I'm from Derry."

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-795737-10366578

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[24] Fergie asked any change in Ruud situation
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"None at all. At this moment in time, without question [he's still a United
player]."

---------------------------------
[23] I'd be disappointed... I want a new signing!
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
Fergie

"If I were to start the season with all the players I've got available, all
fit, I don't think the supporters would be disappointed - neither would I."

---------------------------------
[22] More Fergie on Smith
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"I think it's all to do with his own personality. "When he got injured, he was
so philosophical about it. He just accepted it, whereas other players have
worried and fretted. Sometimes, that can delay your comeback. It's just a
mental thing. Alan's so strong there. No-one's amazed. A bit surprised, but not
amazed. With his personality we always knew he wouldn't just accept the
situation."

---------------------------------
[21] Big Sam on bagging Fortune
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"His commitment to training over the past few weeks has been first class and I
can't wait to start working with him on a full-time basis. He will add
diversity to the left-hand side and will strengthen this area for us."

Fortune's agent Francis Martin "Everything has been agreed in principle with
Bolton. Quinton has been training hard with Bolton and his fitness is not an
issue. He has been delighted at the treatment received from the backroom staff.
He is looking forward to wearing Bolton's colours and getting some regular
games under his belt."

---------------------------------
[20] We tried for Celtic player as a kid
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
Aiden McGeady

"I came close to signing for Manchester United when I was a kid but it seems a
long time ago. But, when I came to Celtic and heard what they had to say, my
mind was made up. I didn't want anyone else phoning me because I was a Celtic
fan and I was impressed with what George Adams and Eric Black had to say. They
were in charge of the youth set-up at the time and my mind was made up when I
met them. United were serious and I had a few meetings with Sir Alex Ferguson.
I was only 13 though so he talked mostly to my parents. It was exciting but my
heart was set on Celtic. I considered joining United but I didn't really want
to leave home, plus it's very difficult for a young player to break into the
first team at Old Trafford. Only Darren Fletcher has really done that in recent
years and I knew I'd have a better chance to establish myself at Celtic
"Thankfully, that's the way things worked out for me. Sir Alex has never said
anything me to since."
McGeady scored the winner in Celtic's only pre-season win so far

"We need to show against Manchester United we are on course to get things right
for the start of the season."

game is live on Channel 5 tonight

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5042816

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[19] Fergie on Alan Smith training return
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"I was surprised but not amazed. With his personality we always knew he
wouldn't just accept the situation. He trained yesterday and looking at the way
he performed, I would not discount him being ready for the start of the season."

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie in transfers...happy with current squad
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"We are working on certain things. Of course, people are trying to make out we
are in a desperate situation. That is far from the case. If I was to start the
season with the players I have now, all fully fit, I would not be disappointed."

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie now praises Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"At this moment in time Ruud is still a Manchester United player. Without
question, he did very well in training yesterday. He showed a good attitude,
which is good."

---------------------------------
[16] Order the Red News Summer Mag
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
Red News Summer Edition. RN 126. Out July 17th.

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

To order click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

5 Red News' from last season for JUST £5 INCLUDING p&p in UK... £9 ROW...

Order here - product code 5OFFER

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Subscribe to Red News.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

NEW UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

Back Issues

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm

---------------------------------
[15] Times talk (no) Torres
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
NO SOONER were Sir Alex Ferguson and Ruud van Nistelrooy reunited yesterday for
the first time since their acrimonious falling-out a little more than 11 weeks
ago did news filter through from Spain that Fernando Torres intends to remain
with Atlético Madrid.
If the Manchester United manager’s mood worsened the moment he laid eyes on Van
Nistelrooy, it is unlikely to have been improved by yet another high-profile
snub, this time from the striker he had identified as a replacement for the
unsettled Holland forward.

Torres’s claim to want to stay at the Vicente Calderón, where he is contracted
for another two years, may not necessarily signal the end of United’s interest
in the Spain forward, but it would take an extraordinary turn of events for
Ferguson to prise him away.

It also represents another blow to the manager’s attempts to bolster his squad,
which he has yet to do with a single signing this summer, even though the start
of the new season is only 25 days away.

Also of concern is the failure to find a new home for Van Nistelrooy, although
United expect to sell him to Bayern Munich or Real Madrid within the next seven
to ten days.

Van Nistelrooy and Ferguson had not spoken since the striker was ordered home
before United’s final league match of last season, against Charlton Athletic on
May 7. Words are understood to have been kept to a minimum between the pair
yesterday at the club’s Carrington headquarters, where Ferguson returned to
oversee pre-season training after delaying his departure from South Africa,
where the club had been on tour.

Bayern view Van Nistelrooy as the perfect partner for Lukas Podolski, one of
the stars of Germany’s World Cup campaign, who arrived from FC Cologne this
summer for about £7 million, and the Bundes- liga club are ready to offload Roy
Makaay or Claudio Pizarro to accommodate the 30-year-old.

Real, on the other hand, have a habit of always getting their man. Either way,
a game of cat-and-mouse, with both clubs trying to outbid each other, has
already started. Bayern are expected to make a third, improved offer today on
the £11.6 million they lodged for the striker on Sunday — Real have bid about
£1 million less — but both are still short of United’s £15 million valuation.

With Patrick Vieira, the Juventus and former Arsenal midfield player, seemingly
bound for Inter Milan, and interest in another target, Michael Carrick, waning
as a consequence of Tottenham Hotspur’s inflated £17 million valuation of the
player, news of Torres’s determination to stay in Spain is hardly what Ferguson
will have wanted to hear.

Nevertheless, Atlético may find it hard to resist a bid in the region of £30
million, despite their apparent refusal to sell for less than the £41.5 million
buyout clause in the 22-year-old’s contract. But there now appears a very real
prospect that United may start the season without a world-class signing to
their name.

“I am here for the pre-season just like last year and have no intention to
leave,” Torres told a news conference in Spain. “I want to stay here. We have a
new coach [Javier Aguirre] in whom I have confidence, like he does in me. We
have signed some great new players and I am really looking forward to working
with them next season.”

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-795737-10379645
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-795737-10380073  Dorm rooms to dreams rooms
from just £7 per night
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[14] Guardian on Torres and transfers
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
'There was bad news for United yesterday, however, as Fernando Torres, the
Spain striker earmarked by Sir Alex Ferguson to replace Van Nistelrooy,
insisted he has no intention to leave Atletico Madrid. The 22-year-old, capped
34 times and top scorer at the club he supported as a child for each of the
last four seasons, had also attracted interest from Internazionale.

"I am here for the pre-season training schedule, just like last year, and I
have no intention to leave," he said. "I want to stay here. There has been a
lot of talking while I've been away on holiday about my possible departure and
so much has been said about my future but the reality is that I'm here for
another year. If I'd wanted to leave Atletico Madrid, I would have done it
years ago.

"The fans haven't heard me say I want to leave, and I feel fine here. I repeat,
if I had wanted to go I could have, because I've had offers. Manchester United
and Inter are great teams; big clubs have come for me and they haven't made me
change my mind. I'm an Atletico Madrid player, I have a contract to run and I
hope to complete it."

Torres has two years to run on his current deal and, should no new contract be
agreed over the next 12 months, Atletico would presumably be willing to listen
to offers at the end of the coming season.

Ferguson, therefore, travelled to Glasgow for tonight's friendly against Celtic
at Parkhead no nearer to securing a successor to Van Nistelrooy. Despite Real
Madrid's offer having been knocked back, the Dutchman is attracting interest
from Bayern Munich and is likely to move before the new season.

With the Carrick deal still to be finalised, United have failed to add to their
squad this summer while Chelsea have spent lavishly on Michael Ballack and John
Obi Mikel, two players targeted by Ferguson. Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham
Hotspur have also recruited heavily. Other United targets, such as the Lyon
midfielder Mahamadou Diarra, have proved out of reach.'

---------------------------------
[13] Guardian hint Carrick set for deal?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
'Tottenham are resigned to losing Michael Carrick to Manchester United after
the England midfielder rejected their final contract offer. Spurs would have
altered their wage and bonus structure to match the package offered by United
but Carrick has made it clear that he wants to move, pointing to the Old
Trafford club's participation in the Champions League and their greater
proximity to his family home in Newcastle as key attractions.

Tottenham's manager, Martin Jol, will not attempt any further to dissuade the
midfielder, whose rejections of contract offers and declaration of intent to
move to United are being regarded as tantamount to a transfer request that will
cost him compensation for the remaining two years of his contract. Jol allowed
Pedro Mendes, Michael Brown and Sean Davis to leave in January and must now
recruit a midfield replacement.

Spurs' chairman. Daniel Levy, will monitor negotiations for Ruud van
Nistelrooy's departure from Old Trafford which will have an immediate bearing
on United's resources for the Carrick deal. United have bid £10m for Carrick
and do not wish to pay more than £12m but Spurs are expected to settle for a
price around £17m which would weaken United in the transfer market.'

---------------------------------
[12] Official site on Smith return
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
'Alan Smith was the surprise face on show as almost the entire United squad
trained on Tuesday morning.

The 25-year-old, who will revert to his original role as a striker this season,
has been out of action since breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle against
Liverpool last January.

Sir Alex Ferguson expects to have the fans' favourite back in action in late
August or early September.

Smith was joined by all the United squad who played in South Africa, as well as
those who featured in this  summer's World Cup - including Ruud van Nistelrooy,
despite the uncertainty over his future.

Only Cristiano Ronaldo, Louis Saha and Mikael Silvestre are still absent,
following their exertions at the latter stages in Germany, and are due back at
Carrington next Monday.'

---------------------------------
[11] Rio became
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
a Dad this week, with his girlfriend Becky Ellison

from yesterdays Mirror

'ENGLAND football star Rio Ferdinand's girlfriend Rebecca Ellison gave birth to
an 8lb baby boy yesterday.

The £100,000-a-week Manchester United defender missed training with his
team-mates to be at the hospital.

Rebecca, 25, and the baby were said to be doing well.

Rio, 27, who has admitted straying in the past, said: "Over the last few years
I have matured. My priority now is Rebecca, the baby and having a stable family
life."

---------------------------------
[10] Even more Torres
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"I'm not waiting for a team to buy me and I don't intend to listen to offers. A
lot is being said but in the final analysis I will still be here for another
year," added Torres, who scored three goals at the World Cup. I am an Atletico
Madrid player and will remain so as long as both the club and I are happy."

Open a range of betting accounts and compare odds and get free starting bets
when you sign up

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10360205

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-795737-5966119

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-795737-10295995  Have a Free £25 bet on totesport

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-795737-10351781
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[9] Alan Smith was training yesterday with the rest of the team
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
A United spokesman said: “Everyone was thrilled to see Alan at training. He was
the surprise face at the ground, there’s no doubt about that.”

---------------------------------
[8] More Torres
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"If I wanted to leave I could have done it because there were offers.
Manchester United and Inter Milan are big clubs. But I’m happy here at the
moment."

---------------------------------
[7] Juve to appeal on appeal verdict
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
from SKY - as the Italian season could be put back for this delay

'Juventus' demotion to Serie B will stand but Lazio and Fiorentina are to start
the new season in Serie A, the Italian federal court appeals tribunal announced
on Tuesday evening.

After three days' debate and one day of conferring, the federal court's
president Piero Sandulli announced verdicts that have seen Juve, Lazio,
Fiorentina and Milan all handed reduced punishments for match-fixing.

The sanctions still did not find favour with the Bianconeri, however, whose
president Giovanni Cobolli Gigli claimed Juve were 'paying for everyone', with
the club now determined to take their appeal to the civil courts, if necesary.

The club had originally been handed a 30-point Serie B deduction for the
forthcoming campaign - that has now been reduced to a 17-point penalty but the
deposed champions' relegation stands.

"We are penalised in an unacceptable way," Gigli told Rai tv. "The difference
between us and the other teams is incredible - we don't want to pay for
everyone.

"We can't accept this situation. We will go to the Italian Olympic Committee
Arbitration Court and if we don't get a good answer there, then we will appeal
also to civil law.

"We want to stay in Serie A."

Juve have been stripped of their 2005 title, while last season's trophy will
not be assigned.

The Old Lady's relegation means Messina will be promoted from the second tier
of Italian football, where they were due to start the next campaign after
finishing 18th in Serie A last season.

Lazio and Fiorentina, meanwhile, have been allowed to remain in Serie A, but
will start with 11 and 19 point deductions respectively -  the retention of the
pair's status confirms Lecce and Treviso's relegation to Serie B.

Milan have been allowed to compete in the UEFA Champions League qualifiers in
the forthcoming campaign, although the Rossoneri start with an eight-point top
flight handicap.

Sandulli confirmed that Lazio, Fiorentina and Milan have all been docked 30
points from their league total for season 2005/06.'

---------------------------------
[6] SUN on Carrick
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
'MICHAEL CARRICK is stalling on a bumper new £45,000-a-week deal to stay at
Spurs.

The England midfielder wants to wait and see if Manchester United come back
with a new bid. Spurs KO’d United’s £14million offer and want to open talks to
secure Carrick’s long-term future.

Carrick — who is 25 on Friday — has two years left on the £25,000-a-week deal
he signed after his £2.75m move from West Ham in August 2004.

But Spurs boss Martin Jol has recommended a £1m-a-year pay rise to put his
rising star on the same terms as skipper Ledley King.

Carrick is still eager to try his luck at United but fears Spurs’ £20m
valuation has put them off.'

---------------------------------
[5] Bellamy talks up Scouse title
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
"Since I was a young child I supported Liverpool and to be given the chance to
play for Liverpool is a massive honour and a dream come true for me. At a club
like Liverpool you always want to win the league at the start of every season.
Chelsea have set the benchmark and it is up to us now to follow them and
hopefully overtake them. With the coaching staff, manager and the players we
have here we have a good opportunity of doing that this season. I think we have
a very good chance."

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10306273

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10357057 Up to 8Mbps Broadband
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[4] Spirit of '68
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
Short Sleeve 1968 ECF top WITH full Embroidery. HIGHEST QUALITY

ONLY £22.50 including postage and packing!

Available in Medium, Large and Extra-Large sizes. Royal ECF Blue. Please
specify SIZE when ordering.

Click on  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm for badge detail

Price: £22.50 inc. p&p in UK
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNE02

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo.

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Just mark the product code - RNE02 - when ordering below.

Click on

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

Long Sleeve 1968 ECF top WITH full Embroidery. HIGHEST QUALITY

ONLY £25.00 including postage and packing!

Available in Medium, Large and Extra-Large sizes. Royal ECF Blue. Please
specify SIZE when ordering.

Click on  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm for badge detail

Price: £25.00 inc. p&p in UK
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNE03

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo.

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Just mark the product code - RNE03 - when ordering below.

Click on

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

---------------------------------
[3] When the quotes don't really add up to the story?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
SUN on Drogba

'DIDIER DROGBA has dropped a bombshell on Chelsea by insisting he wants to quit.

The revelation stunned the Premiership champs just one day after his strike
partner, Hernan Crespo, revealed he wanted a return to Italy.

Drogba, 25, said: “I’m not a greedy person but if the price is right and I
still feel giddy about Chelsea, then I’ll go.”

The news will be a shattering blow for boss Jose Mourinho.

He has already lost SIX of his first-team squad this summer.

Drogba said: “I’m a Chelsea player at the moment and I am planning to do my
best this season.

“But at one time, yes, I did really want to leave. The accusations of diving,
the playing pattern and some other personal issues were all part of it.

“Sometimes when you have so much pressure on you, there is a need to change
scene so that your game does not suffer."

“I’m young and still want to give my fans the best.”

---------------------------------
[2] MEN on Carrington
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
'United's World Cup players returned to work at Carrington and faced a reminder
that the anti-Malcolm Glazer feeling among some of the Reds' support remains
bitter. Over 12 months after the American tycoon's successful takeover at Old
Trafford an angry faction plastered  'Love United Hate Glazer' slogans and
stickers over signs and fences leading into United's Carrington training HQ.
Although Ruud van Nistelrooy was back, Cristiano Ronaldo, who clashed with
Wayne Rooney at the World Cup, is not expected back at Carrington until next
week.'

---------------------------------
[1] SUN on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by ed:
'RUUD VAN NISTELROOY finds out tomorrow whether Alex Ferguson still bears a
grudge over the feud that led to the Dutch striker’s transfer request.

Manchester United face Conference North side Hyde United in a friendly and if
Van Nistelrooy is ordered to play, he will know Fergie has it in for him.

Ferguson plans to field a virtual reserve team and it would be a humbling
experience for Van Nistelrooy, 30, to go from World Cup duty to a kickabout in
front of a couple of hundred spectators.

But it was the same story a year ago when club skipper Roy Keane amazingly
turned out in a similar friendly against Rossendale.

Keane had been involved in a training ground bust-up with Ferguson in Portugal
and missed the club’s pre-season tour to Asia, before turning out against the
Unibond division one side.

It was not long before Keane was on his way to join Celtic on a free transfer.

And it is painfully clear that Van Nistelrooy’s days are numbered too.

Bayern Munich could spare him that experience if they step up their bid to take
him to Germany today.

But they have yet to increase their £11.5million offer, even though club
president Franz Beckenbauer predicted the deal would eventually go through.

Bayern have five weeks to complete the deal if they want Van Nistelrooy for the
Champions League but must get closer to United’s £15m valuation.'

---------------------------------
[29] Italian appeal... only Juve now demoted
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
from SKY

'Juventus' demotion to Serie B will stand but Lazio and Fiorentina are to
remain in Serie A, the Italian federal court appeals tribunal announced on
Tuesday evening.

The Bianconeri had originally been handed a 30-point Serie B deduction for the
forthcoming campaign, but, on appeal, that has now been reduced to a 17-point
penalty even if the deposed champions' relegation stands.

Lazio and Fiorentina, meanwhile, have been allowed to remain in Serie A, but
will start with 11 and 19 point deductions respectively.

Milan have been allowed to compete in the UEFA Champions League in the
forthcoming campaign, although the Rossoneri start the coming season with an
eight-point handicap.

Lazio, Fiorentina and Milan have all been docked 30 points from their league
total for season 2005/06.'

---------------------------------
[28] Clayton Blackmore
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
"He's a bit of a moody character Ruud and I don't think it's as simple as
people think. It's not just a problem with the manager but a few of the players
as well"

"I'm still hoping that United will sign a midfielder and striker"

---------------------------------
[27] Could be worse...
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
could always be Siddy as Joey Barton signs a new deal and talks about
'optimism' at Siddy (always is, until that 1st defeat... and then the 2nd one)

"I am ambitious and so is the club. I said if the club would sign quality
players I would commit my future to City. The club has done that and I am a man
of my word. Since we came back from the pre-season break there is a real mood
of optimism at the club. I have always given my absolute maximum for this
football club and I am looking forward to the new season and helping City
challenge at the highest level."

---------------------------------
[26] MEN on all our worries
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
'MANCHESTER United fans are starting to get that twitchy feeling, as the fuse
leading to the start of the Premiership campaign sizzles like the summer heat.
Chief executive David Gill said that the club would wrap up its close-season
transfer business before the World Cup had even started.

Here we are, over six weeks later and that gaping hole in midfield looks darker
and wider than ever.

Not only that, but the fall-out with Ruud van Nistelrooy has ripped another big
gash in the fabric of Fergie's squad, and one that looks like it will not get
filled. The words emanating out of Old Trafford are becoming of increasing
concern to the support. Fergie says replacing Ruud is not a priority, and that
his limited transfer budget will be spent on a midfielder or two - if they can
get the right men at the right price. But replacing Ruud, whose days at Old
Trafford are clearly numbered, IS a priority.

Fergie's pronouncements about having Ole Gunnar Solskjaer back in contention,
and that the return of Paul Scholes is like having a new signing, look feeble
to say the least.

Van Nistelrooy's departure will turn the strike-force into a blunt instrument,
and one that is riddled with uncertainties.

Wayne Rooney remains the gem around whom a team can be built, but he has not
yet developed into a proven goalscorer, and his temperament was again called
into question during the World Cup finals. Louis Saha looked terrific at times
last season but you sense he is always just one challenge away from another
injury lay-off.

The return of Solskjaer has warmed the cockles of every Red's heart. But
whether he will ever again reach the required heights remains to be seen.

Then there is Giuseppe Rossi, a smashing little talent. But this is a season
too soon, and the fact that both he and the club have talked about farming him
out on a season's loan proves that he is still a year away from being ready for
the fray.

United have been trying to bring in new faces, and are now involved in several
games of brinksmanship as they seek to sign Michael Carrick, Mahamadou Diarra
and Tomasz Kuszczak.

"We will not be stupid. I am adamant about that," says Fergie. The problem is
that United have earned themselves something of a reputation for being `stupid'
in the transfer market.

Thirty million for Rio Ferdinand, and £24m for flop Seba Veron were followed by
another £30m for Wayne Rooney. The last deal could still turn out to be a
bargain, but the truth is that United were panicked into it by some sharp
manoeuvring by Everton, stalking horses Newcastle and an agent or two.

Now when United are in the market, clubs believe they can bump the fee up and
hope that their nerve goes first. And the nerves of the supporters are already
starting to twang. If United fail to buy, they start to look a little like the
Liverpool side of 15 years ago, a force in decline, while the powers within the
club sit on their hands and hope for the best.

The showpiece pre-season game to mark the new, expanded Old Trafford is almost
a metaphor. After talk of Barcelona and Real Madrid, the game will be against
... Sevilla, the Blackburn of the Spanish league.

The simple truth is that United can no longer afford to splash cash around,
with the Glazers about to dump another £250m of debt onto the club, bringing
estimated interest payments of around £42m a year.

With finances on a knife-edge, the gambles played out over the next few weeks
could have dire ramifications for the club.

Twist, and come up with more money for players, and the coffers could be empty
by the time the banks and hedge funds want their cash. Stick and the risk is
stagnation, a poor league season, and no qualification for the 2007-08
Champions League.'

---------------------------------
[25] Torres hints at United?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
"Big clubs have come in for me but they haven't made me change my mind"

"I am here for the pre-season just like last year and have no intention to
leave. I want to stay here"

“I want to stay. There has been a lot of discussion during my holiday about my
possible exit but the reality is that I am here for another year. If I had
wanted to leave Atletico Madrid I would have done it years ago. I feel fine
here.”

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10374228

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[24] Torres
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
"I want to stay. A lot has been said during my holidays about my possible exit,
but the reality is that I am here for one more year."

---------------------------------
[23] Torres at press conference
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
says there is no way he'd leave his 'boyhood' club. He is staying at Atletico.

---------------------------------
[22] Fortune's agent
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
Francis Martin

"We expect the deal to be concluded tomorrow as Bolton have a game in Scotland.
Everything has been agreed in principle. Quinton has been training hard with
Bolton and his fitness is not an issue. He has been delighted at the treatment
received from the backroom staff. He is looking forward to wearing Bolton's
colours and getting some regular games under his belt."

---------------------------------
[21] Red News VIp Forum
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
Red News has set up a VIP members forum for readers and subscribers and those
paying £10 for entry for a year to share views, receive gossip and the
occasional breaking news story from Red News itself away from prying eyes and
ABUs. There are also a  Ticket & Travel Forum and Travel information Forum in
this VIP section

 http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

All you have to do to join the forum is log in and sign in and create yourself
a username if you don't have one already, then if you are a subscriber follow
the instructions at  http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703
http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703 or if you are a reader or wish
to purchase entry also go to  http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703
http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703 and follow the instructions.

Any questions ask us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[20] Ruud deal 8-10 days away?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
we hear it will be earlier than that, ie this week, below from AP

'German champions Bayern Munich are confident of capturing the signature of
unsettled Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy within the next 10
days, a German press report said.
Bayern have upped their offer for the Dutch striker to 17 million euros (21.5
million dollars), Bild newspaper reported.
Although Bayern may have to go higher still to meet the English club's asking
price of 22 million euros, general manager Uli Hoeness believes it is only a
matter of time before the 30-year-old Dutch international makes the move to
southern Germany.
"It could take another eight to ten days. I've just got a feeling about it,"
Hoeness told Bild.
Van Nistelrooy reported for training with United on Monday but appears to be
determined to leave Old Trafford after a bust-up with manager Alex Ferguson
prior to the final game of the last season against Charlton.
Real Madrid are also interested in signing the proven goalscorer, but they have
also been unwilling to meet United's asking price.
Bayern President Franz Beckenbauer hinted on Monday that the club were already
in early negotiations with Bundesliga rivals SV Hamburg about offloading either
Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro or Dutch forward Roy Makaay to make room for
Van Nistelrooy.
Bayern kick off the Bundesliga season with a home match against Borussia
Dortmund on August 11.'

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-10306929

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[19] Mirror on Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by ed:
'MANCHESTER UNITED'S resolve to keep Cristiano Ronaldo was last night tested to
the limit after Spanish giants Valencia told Old Trafford officials to name
their price for the under-fire winger.

Ronaldo has been looking for an escape route from United following the backlash
for the part he played in getting Wayne Rooney sent off at the World Cup.

And with Valencia ready to splash out - double what United paid three years ago
- Ronaldo's wish may finally be granted.

Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted Ronaldo will return for preseason training with
United next Monday and will start the new campaign with them, despite the
ongoing uncertainty over his future.

But Fergie, who has still not spoken to the player since the fall-out from the
spat with club team-mate Rooney, is likely to find it impossible to turn down a
double-your-money offer from Valencia.

The Spanish club's president, Juan Soler, who yesterday clinched the signings
of Fernando Morientes from Liverpool and Asier Del Horno from Chelsea, said:
"Until Manchester tell us no several times, we will not give up."

Ronaldo has already publicly expressed his anger at what he perceives as
United's lack of support for him in the aftermath of his World Cup bust-up with
Rooney.

The Portugal star is known to be dismayed that Fergie, who is fiercely
protective of his players, has not bothered to get in touch with him.'

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WktRrD/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/GtUolB/TM