On Mon, Aug 11 2025, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2025 07:22:53 -0500
> "Christian G. Warden via Remind-fans" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> The reminders that I consider my todos are items I want to be reminded
>> of until they are done.  I use:
>
> Thank you.  I think this comment clarifies the big difference between
> tasks and events: Events happen at a certain time, whereas tasks are
> *supposed* to happen at a certain time, but you want to be reminded of
> them until they are done.
>
>> FSET float(y,m,d) trigger(MAX(realtoday(), date(y,m,d)))
>> REM Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri SCANFROM [float(2025,9,2)] AT 07:00  MSG
>> %"Pay Taxes due September 15%"%
>
> Rather than implementing a whole new TODO system, what do you all think
> about this?  Have a way to mark a REM command as a TODO (probably with
> "REM TODO ... MSG ..."
>
> The TODO keyword will have no effect on calendar output.  But in the
> normal Remind run without any calendar options, a TODO reminder will
> be triggered on its normal trigger date as well as every day thereafter
> until the TODO designation is removed.  The advantage of this over
> Christian's float() hack above is that the trigger date will always
> be the actual date, so substitution sequences like %b, etc. will "see"
> the correct date.  [This might not be so easy, actually... I have 
> to think about how to implement it...]
>
> For recurring tasks, we might want a "COMPLETED-TO date" phrase.  So
> for example:
>
> REM TODO Wednesday COMPLETED-TO 2025-08-13 MSG Write weekly column
>
> In normal mode, this reminder would not be triggered prior to
> Wednesday, 20 Aug 2025 (because every occurence through 2025-08-13 has
> been completed.)  Thereafter, it would be triggered every day until
> either the TODO designator is removed or the COMPLETED-TO is updated.
>
> In calendar mode, the TODO and COMPLETED-TO would be ignored and
> you'd get a calendar entry every Wednesday.
>
> Thoughts on this idea?  Useful?  Not useful?

I don't think I can provide an answer for these questions, but as a long
time Remind user (thanks a million for giving us such an awesome tool!), I
felt that I should provide my 5 cents.  So... here they are :-)

As I said, I've been using Remind for a *long* time, and I love the way it
allows me to setup my events/reminders and that's why I've been using if
for so long -- it's flexible, powerful, and easy to use for my simple
use-case.

Your initial email got myself wondering: would I use Remind for handling
my TODOs?  And the answer was immediately clear to me: no, I would not.
And the reason is that in my mind calendar and tasks/todos are totally
separate things.  For example, the tasks I typical need to keep track of
require different kinds of information attached, and sometimes a lot of
information (notes, reports, etc).

I've tried to mix calendar and todos in the same tool[1] a few times in
the past, but that never worked out and I always come back to Remind +
<something else> for tasks.

Obviously, that's me.  And a lot of people prefer to have everything in
the one place, and that's fine.

[1] FWIW, the most successful experience I had was with Emacs org-mode,
but it didn't stick.  I still use a mix of org-mode (which is great!) and
pen & paper for tasks though.

Cheers,
-- 
Luís

_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to