On 19 August 2010 09:50, Mitesh Patel <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/18/2010 07:13 PM, William Stein wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:18 AM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>
>> wrote:

>>> It would be good to state on the ticket what level of student project
>>> this is (undergrad, postgrad), and the skill set needed (C, Python
>>> etc). I expect you would prefer it in Python, though I think
>>> personally a C implementation like Marks, which you can easily call
>>> from Python, would be more beneficial to the scientific community in
>>> general - not everyone is using Sage/Python.
>>>
>>> I know if I were a student, I'd prefer a bit more information on that
>>> trac ticket.
>>
>> Good idea -- I've posted some stuff there.
>
> Would a project to rewrite genus2reduction.c [1] as part of the Sage
> library be at a similar level?  Is there a paper(s) on the algorithm?
>
> [1] This is part of the genus2reduction spkg, which does not have the
> same build problems as SYMPOW, as far as I'm aware.  The motivation here
> would be, perhaps, to get some experience with PARI, Cython, and
> (hyper)elliptic curves.  We'd also reduce very slightly our spkg
> maintenance burden.

I think the relavant paper from Liu's web page
(http://www.math.u-bordeaux.fr/~liu/) is this:

Qing Liu : Conducteur et discriminant minimal de courbes de genre 2
    Compositio Math., 94 (1994), 51-79

Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken (and I hope so!) there are no
genus 2 experts currently working on (or with) Sage.   The credit for
his program goes to various people (Cohen, Poonen, Schaefer, Stoll and
more) as well as himself.  I think that this would be considerably
harder than reimplementing the modular degree part of sympow.

Note, in particular, that Liu's algorithm only gives the odd part of
the conductor of a genus 2 curve.  Even after 15 years or so, no-one
has ever worked out the details for p=2.  I regularly ask genus 2
people (if you see what I mean;  it sounds a very uncomfortable state
to be in) about this and they usually throw up their hands saying
there are hundreds of cases to be considered.  I don't think I have
the expertise to do that, or supervise someone else to do it.

John