Good points Daryl,
Another example is F3J, where we are measuring time to the hundreths and nearly
every competitor lands 95+ (with no skegs :) ).  Check out the stats from the
Worlds. There is talk of dividing the points between 90 and 100 to provide more
discrimination.  Landings are the only thing discriminating the leaders.

There are lots of options to modify the tasks - shorter lines, longer times,
different landings, each of which has it's own warts.  The tasks as they have
evolved are generally fair and accepted.  This does not mean there is no room
for change, just that one needs to understand the effect of the change on the
game... and it is just a game...
Jim