I am a newbie at this game, but I have assumed that if you shorten the winch lines there will be even greater emphasis on energy retention during the zoom and therefore planes will need to be even stronger, stiffer, more aerodynamically slick which equals further development which then equals dollar$$$.

I was shocked to see the local guys getting 10 minutes during very very light lift with no circling in thermals. Certainly that then means that the only way of discriminating these good fliers with their super machines is by measuring to the thousandths and requiring more difficult tasks. With all the technology in our machines, can't someone think of a way to automate the timing and scoring? You *cannot* be accurate to the hundredths, much less tenths with a stopwatch. Just ask any of our dragracer friends what the typical reaction time is. Perhaps an electronic tape that records when/where the nose hits (much like fencing might do) and/or a timing system that senses a release from the towhook? But then again, why complicate what is supposed to be a relaxing hobby? :)

Jim Monaco wrote:
Good points Daryl,
Another example is F3J, where we are measuring time to the hundreths and nearly
every competitor lands 95+ (with no skegs :) ).  Check out the stats from the
Worlds. There is talk of dividing the points between 90 and 100 to provide more
discrimination.  Landings are the only thing discriminating the leaders.

There are lots of options to modify the tasks - shorter lines, longer times,
different landings, each of which has it's own warts.  The tasks as they have
evolved are generally fair and accepted.  This does not mean there is no room
for change, just that one needs to understand the effect of the change on the
game... and it is just a game...
Jim