Bear with me here, I still can't say I find Maya enjoyable to use, but in
first place making the whole UI scalable is non trivial and with the
current move to high density display being well in effect more than just
cosmetics.

On top of that they have, at this point, shown the addition of parallel
evaluation in the scene graph, sculpting and high poly handling in viewport
(probably about a third of the sculpting part of mudbox ported over),
revamped the surfacing considerably, the addition of gas solvers and guided
sims in bifrost, and a number of other things (some admittedly useless to
most or patching over until they can be replaced with less dead horses,
e.g. XGen).

How is that just a coat of polish?
Does AD as a company in general suck? Yeah, in the same way most of those
corps seem to these days.

Can I honestly say Maya 2016 is a shit release? No, you're being overly
emotional and have decided to hate it for the sake of hating it IMO. They
could have added another 15 features and my guess is you probably would
have still decided to give it crap on account of the facelift, despite the
fact it was actually a functional one.

I used 2016 beta a fair bit on a Surface Pro 3. I used it because XSI and
Maya 2015 were F'ing useless on 2.5k on that screen. You can pick on it as
much as you want, but there was strong request for it.