On 2015-05-28 11:30, Komяpa wrote:

How do we cover this use case in OpenStreetMap, with its
eager-to-revert-names-in-languages-I-don't-speak users?

I'm genuinely curious: How do people in Russia search for places that are not in Russia? If you search for London, do you search for London or do you search for Лондон? I know I am not searching for Москва, Новосибирск, or Владивосток when I need Moscow, Novosibirsk or Wladiwostok. I can't even type those characters. Wouldn't it be normal that placenames are transliterated? So I find it strange that properly transliterated names get removed from the database. To me that seems a very western[*]-centric view of things.

[*] short for "countries that use the latin alphabet"

And yes, looking at the OSM map of Russia or China I am lost. I can not read it. Okay, cyrillic I can read a little, Moscow I can find, but I can not find Beijing on the map, I have to use the search box. And when I do and look at the map, I can not read what places are around it. I think this is the biggest flaw of the OSM map that needs to be fixed. And for that you need transliterated names.

Maarten