I will not continue to discuss other issues as at this point everybody
exchanged opinions and repeating the same makes no sense.

But...

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 17:55:07 -0400 Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com>
wrote:

> and they aren't making more abandoned railroads anymore (Beeching is
> dead, and the US has railbanking).

is simply untrue. For example just days ago I
mapped a new railway track, deleted section of spur that was
recently dismantled* and updated geometry of railway track that was
dismantled and constructed again (it was moved to make place for the
new track)**.

Just because something is true in UK and USA does not mean that it is
true worldwide - for example in Poland abandoning and dismantling of
railways happened relatively recently and it still continues. There are
many abandoned railway spurs leading to military areas or factories
that will be almost certainly removed in the near future.

*yes, I surveyed it. Yes, it is gone (section that was not destroyed
was obviously not removed).

**yes, I surveyed it. Yes, new track is mapped and old, removed track is
gone so the old geometry was removed from OSM

BTW, position that everything that is gone but left findable traces is
mappable would lead to interesting consequences - see
http://www.deepseanews.com/2012/06/how-presidential-elections-are-impacted-by-a-100-million-year-old-coastline/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_A_and_B#/media/File:Poland_2007_election_results.jpg
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00795231/document (pdf)
for an interesting examples.