On 12 September 2015 22:55:07 GMT+01:00, Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:
>moltonel writes:
> > Still, I'd like to add one reason: none of the other tags you
> > mentioned have such a vehement, uncompromising, relentless champion
>
>There is no "compromise", Moltonel. "Compromise" is where you get your
>way, and delete my hard work. Can you see how this is not acceptable?
>Whereas, from my point of view, you can compromise by accepting that
>abandoned railways have a place in OSM. They don't get rendered
>anymore, so they're not a problem there. You can hide them in JOSM. I
>don't know if ID lets you hide ways. Compared to all the things that
>*should* be mapping but aren't, having a few things that are mapped
>that "shouldn't" be, simply isn't a problem.

Again, you're seeing this as an all or nothing amd don't seem to even notice
any in-between. Either "win the debate" fully or lose,  either map abandoned
railroads completely or not a all.

For what it's worth, even if I went on a mad armchair-maping rampage and
deleted all that I feel does not belong in OSM, there'd be maybe 75 to 90% of
your railway work left (but of course this won't happen, as I only map places I
know, and always discuss potentialy controversial edits with other
contributors, changing nothing if unsure).

Since you apparently missed all the compromises I made, let me spell them out :
* I actually approve maping abandoned railways in general (not strictly a
compromise since it was my starting opinion, but it seems that some other
contributors are less keen on maping them).
* I now would leave a railway=abandoned tag on a perfectly-converted highway=*.
Pethaps at most I'd contact the maper to suggest taking out the railway tag in
such cases, but I'd let him/her decide.
* I do not like "former railway route" relations, but I can leave them be.
* I tried to define objective and conservative criterias on when a railway
section really doesnt belong in OSM, such as when a building has been built on
top, when a bridge is gone, or when a field's crops grow uniformly well.
* Interestingly, my criterias seem to match your criterias for
railway=dismantled. I've tried a few times to steer the discusion back on the
narrower 'dismantled' case to avoid what otherwise looks like a blanket
rejection of abandoned railways.
* I'd be fine with OSM supporting maping the past properly (better than OHM).
Maybe something like a variation on the lifecycle prefixes, so you could tag
"past:railway=rail @ 1800s - 1975" instead of "railway=dimantled". And some
toolset support.

>Please, compromise, rather than demand that I compromise by giving in
>completely!

A compromise is when *both* parties meet somewhere in the middle. What steps
have you taken towards that middle ground ?

--
Vincent Dp