Hi all,

On Tuesday, September 28, 1999, 11:45:48 AM (-5 GMT), Steve scribbled:

>     Nope, initials are allowed.  Generally if you have the quote prefix within
> the first, uhmmm, I think it is 5 characters it is ok.

For TB!, it's 20 characters. Is this 5 character limit a de facto
standard which TB! could potentially breach when using first names in
the quote prefix?

TB! is the first windows based e-mail client that I've used that uses
text before the quote prefix ">". Anyone know of any others?

>     Quite a few do from my perspective.  Of course, that perspective is the
> Unix world, not the Windows world.

I guess Unix has been around longer than windows and a lot of these
de-facto standards stem from it's userbase so we should adhere to them.
:-/ The windows clients should then support it. Those initials, break
the color coding on windows-based clients pretty much across the board.
Even the venerable Pegasus Mail. The paragon of standards eh Alexander?
:^)

>> By the way, I thought that the quote prefix was used mainly to differentiate
>> quotes from non-quotes?

>      Yes.  The defacto standard is >.  Software, knowing this, uses that to
> color the quotes to make it stand out even more.  Some will even color
> different levels of quotes with different colors.

That's true. I've seen that once.

>> This color coding that you speak of seems to be confined to only a limited
>> number if clients

>     Again, from your perspective maybe.  From mine it is common fair.  It is
> actually uncommon for me to see clients that don't do coloring of that nature
> any more.

Interesting.

Thanks for the info Steve. I do learn a bit from you but after reading
your previous post I had better read very carefully and not piss you
off. <ducking and madly running :-DD)

--
Regards,
 -=Ali=-