Hi Ali,

on Tuesday, September 28, 1999, 6:39:07 PM, Ali Martin wrote:

>> Two different things, Allie: your earlier proposal was that the quotes
>> should show the original sender's initial's; what you describe Agent
>> is doing, is giving you the option to choose a fixed set of characters
>> as a quote mark, regardless of who the sender is. I don't use Agent;
>> kindly correct me if I'm mistaken.

AM> My original proposal was that if one uses initials in his/her quote
AM> prefixes, TB! should change the quote prefix used in 'quote as text'
AM> option to the initialed type especially when quoting text from the
AM> message being replied to.

Yes, this is what I understood. What you say Agent is doing, is
something else.

The difference is that Agent uses a fixed set of characters (be it
"quote:" or whatever), whilst you want TB to use an intelligent form.
You want TB to know where the quote came from, i.e. who was the sender
of the email this is quoted from, rather than just having another
string as a quote mark. (I am talking about the clipboard quoting
only, not about the %quote macro).

AM> Enable initialed quote prefixing and hit reply to this message. The
AM> quote prefixing is fine.

I'm following you.

AM> Now, another way to reply to my message would be to remove the %Quotes
AM> template macro and manually copy/paste what you need from my message. If
AM> you do it this way, initialed quote prefixes are not generated. I would
AM> have expected that the initialed quote prefixes would have been
AM> generated either way. This is an understandable situation because I
AM> don't know how TB! would be able to differentiate clipboard items taken
AM> from TB! mail as opposed to a remote file, so it would be best to use
the default ">>" prefix.

When you hit "reply" and have the %quote macro in your template,
something very different happens from copy/pasting via the clipboard.
As far as I know, the Windows clipboard does not store the additional
info ("where did this quote come from?"). Someone correct me if I'm
mistaken. However, to tell the clipboard copy/paste function to add a
user-defined character string in front of every line, instead of the
standard one, sounds much easier to me than to re-write the whole
function.

The "reply" function will be a TB specific module anyway, as opposed
to a Windows function available to all Windows programmers. Thus, the
wheel was not re-invented.

AM> Some users actually happy the way things are but in looking at Agent, I
AM> see a very workable solution. Agent has, not only a 'paste as quote'
AM> option which pastes text with the default quote prefix, but also a
AM> 'paste as quote custom.." option which allows you to define whatever
AM> quote prefix you like.

Does it allow you to use variables, like "initials of the sender of
the origianal post", or does it allow you to user-define a fixed string
of characters to replace the "greater than"? If it allow you to use
variables that are sensitive to where this quote was copied/pasted
from, then I'm wrong.

Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.36 Beta/4
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.