Thank you Januk,

I'm a good bit more confused now than I was when I was really lost.
I  think  I understand that this program is WAAAAY more than I need to
write email and send a picture or text file every now and then.

I  explain technical nuances of fairly complicated mechanical devices
to Federal Court juries for a living and pride myself on being able to
make  them  understand  them.  But  now it's me that has that  'possum in the
headlights look'.

Please think simple and easy.  I only have three kinds of email:
1) email from people I know.
2) People I don't know.
3) People I don't want to know.

1)  Those  I know I separate into folders, Jokes, Patent info, etc..  Some
of  these  folders receive mail from one person with one email all the
way  to one box that receives mail from nearly 50 people using a total
of 150 or so return addresses.

2)  These  are  infrequently  people  in group one using still another
email  address, but more often are people or companies contacting me for
business or personal  stuff.   A  fair  amount  of  spam  gets  here  by
spam bot harvesting  from  usenet  post  and  unsecure  email  (Congress is the
worst).   From  this  folder  I  drag and drop into folders like Keep,
Information, Answer Later, etc.

3)  These  are  spam and obscure newsletters seldom read and sometimes
something  good that got caught by a filter.  Anything seen to be spam
is  promoted  to  "Delete  from  server",  which I see as the ultimate
filter.  I don't want to see it ever again. Many times these are whole
domains.

That's all I want to do.  Sort through the mail just exactly like I do
it with snail  mail.  I throw away the junk without opening it.  I don't
care how many  gazillion  dollars I've already won or how much toilet
paper cost.

The mail that is important like personal letters,
bills, and  really   bad threats of collection, etc. I sit this pile aside so I can
later  sit  and  read.....or  hide.....

The third batch is opened while standing  over the trash can...most of
it goes in.  When I recognize a  certain  signal  of  snail  spam (Is that cheap
escargot?)
like an odd lack  of identifying address or postmark, it is soon promoted
to being thrown away in the first sorting.

I  tried  to  do  it  Eudora for a month and ask for the same help but
could never get my point across I guess.  Is this any better?

                               jack

Januk> Hello Karin,

Januk> On  Tuesday, September 19, 2000  at  03:17:16 GMT +0200 (which was 6:17 PM
Januk> where I live) witnesses say Karin Spaink typed:

>> Yes, do check it on other filters as well. Having it
>> unchecked means that once this particular filter has been
>> invoked, TB stops filtering -- while you a\want it to go on
>> to the next mail and the next filter.

Januk> I think you may have misunderstood the "continue processing" option.
Januk> Let's say I have a really simple filter that marks all messages from
Januk> TBUDL with a flag or colour group, but *does not* move them.  If
Januk> "Continue Processing" is *not* checked, this message will not be
Januk> touched by any other filter.  But all messages will be checked by the
Januk> filters.

Januk> So, if you have
Januk> filter 1 <- has continue processing unchecked (doesn't move messages)
Januk> filter 2 <- has continue processing checked (doesn't move messages)
Januk> filter 3 <- doesn't matter

Januk> and

Januk> message 1
Januk> message 2

Januk> If message 1 meets the criteria for 1 and 3, only filter 1 will be
Januk> applied to message 1. If message 2 meets the criteria for 2 and 3,
Januk> then both filters 2 and 3 will be applied to message 2.

>> Imagine me telling you how to filter. I only downloaded TB
>> for evaluation purposes this Saturday ;-)

Januk> See how easy it really is to use?  :)

>> The History file in TB does part of the trick, and once you
>> have lemma's in the Address Book, TB _will_ autocomplete. I
>> think...

Januk> TB will not automatically auto-complete from the addressbook.  You have
Januk> to use a key combination, but it escapes me at the moment.
Januk> (Ctrl-+ maybe?)

>>> I  NEED  auto  correct  in  the  spell  checker becuase my fingers are
>>> ignorant adn always gets certain words wrong.  :-)

Januk> TB's autocorrect feature is a little different than what you're used
Januk> to in programs like MS Word.  In TB, if you type a word that is in the
Januk> auto correct dictionary (eg adn), the misspelled word will be
Januk> underlined with a square wave, as opposed to a triangular wave. Double
Januk> right-click on the misspelled word to replace with the correct word.
Januk> I personally like this better than Word style auto-correct.  It helps
Januk> when you want to misspell a word on purpose. (Like my examples above.)
Januk> It is a matter of taste, but I will admit that perhaps auto-correct is
Januk> a bit of a misnomer.

>> <grin> People here are more lenient than they appear at
>> first sight. Ask me. I got into a fight on my first night
>> here, and now we seem buddies.

Januk> We don't usually object to the people, just the bashing of our
Januk> precious mail client. <g> We were all new to this program at some
Januk> point.

--
later,
 jbelk                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]