On 18 January 2003, 12:37, Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:

>   The Xs give me a fuzzy feeling too but doesn't necessarily
>   mean X out everything... I should be able to allow viewing
>   HTML in its entirety or be able to choose who can send me
>   HTML formatted mail at least...
~~~

Those [X]'s only appear when the image isn't sent with the message. I
don't care if the download is only 2 bytes, the link can be coded to
allow the sender to verify your address, which can then become a
saleable resource on spam lists. It also allows the sender to verify
that you're accessible on-line, and thus a suitable target for a
trojan or two.

Immunity from such exploits was a major factor in persuading me to
part with the cost of business licenses for all users at my site.
While I wouldn't abandon TB, I wouldn't upgrade to v2 if it downloaded
off-page resources by default.

FWIW, you can choose to view HTML in its entirety -- just open the
message.htm icon. However, you cannot choose who can send you HTML
formatted mail -- if they send it, you must download the whole thing,
garbage and all, or delete it from the server after viewing only the
header.

WRT your likening HTML mail to the heater of a car: The heater on a
car (at least, a conventional one that forms part of the cooling
system) uses no additional resources. Contrast that with HTML mail,
which takes up over the twice my bandwidth and storage than plain text
requires. Having said that, I have no objection to TB growing an
ability to write HTML mail provided that it does not become the
default.

Cheers,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Daddy, what does "Formatting Drive C:" mean?