Mario,

Just a thought, if the customise definition was to accept both glyph and
symbol as parameters this may be an easier approach.
\customise _glyph="〖" _glyphName="openenc" _endString="〗" _symbol=highlight
_classes=".highlight" _mode=inline
even an new \customise-def that accepts _glyphs and _glyphNames and
\customise does not.

Then all the existing definitions would be transferred into this form, but
could be altered.
Accepting a _glyphName="openenc" (open enclosed brackets) for subsequent
use such as
\customise openenc _classes=".highlight-green"
In effect a redefinition, like the current customise.

In the worst case there will need to be a start-up process that puts glyph
definitions in a specific tiddler into a table, ie reload to add new glyphs.

Forgive me for interfering in this aspect of coding, which I am as yet
unable to contribute to myself. I wish you had another "coder" (or more)
sharing your effort.

I would just add to the general discussion, whilst global customise is a
valuable tool, I can see customise being added to the specific tiddlers
that wish to use extended mark-up, so in many cases the scope will only be
the current tiddler. If a text contains a glyph the editor can just choose
another for their special mark-up, a small popup panel could list the
glyphs found in a tiddler.

Another approach is using a custom type field, and the type which is
equivalent to a mime type also permits providing the character set.

Regards
Tony