On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 11:05:06 AM UTC+1, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

P.S.: By the way the Pilcrow was originally used inline (often coloured
> red) in Medieval manuscripts to indicate a ceasura / hiatus / pause in the
> flow of a text.
> Vellum / parchment was very expensive so text is as condensed as possible.
> Paragraphs separated by lines evolved much later and was more to do with
> the development of printing and cheaper paper.

Yea, I've seen that. I did find this:

Scribes would often leave space before paragraphs to allow rubricators
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubrication> to draw the pilcrow. With the
> introduction of the printing press, space before paragraphs was still left
> for rubricators to draw by hand; however, rubricators could not draw fast
> enough for printers and often would leave the beginnings of the paragraphs
> as blank. This is how the indent before paragraphs was created.[11]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilcrow#cite_note-11> Nevertheless, the
> pilcrow remains in use in modern time in the following ways:

very interesting. ... I did ask myself for some time, where the indented
first line in paragraphs comes from. .... Now I know :)

-m