On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 1:05:53 AM UTC+1, TonyM wrote:

Just a thought, if the customise definition was to accept both glyph and
> symbol as parameters this may be an easier approach.
> \customise _glyph="〖" _glyphName="openenc" _endString="〗" _symbol=highlight
> _classes=".highlight" _mode=inline
> even an new \customise-def that accepts _glyphs and _glyphNames and
> \customise does not.

Those definitions will need to be done at startup time.

> Then all the existing definitions would be transferred into this form,
> but could be altered.

That's right.

Accepting a _glyphName="openenc" (open enclosed brackets) for subsequent
> use such as
> \customise openenc _classes=".highlight-green"
> In effect a redefinition, like the current customise.
>
> In the worst case there will need to be a start-up process that puts glyph
> definitions in a specific tiddler into a table, ie reload to add new glyphs.

That would need to happen. ... When \customize definitions are parsed, the
whole initialisation process is in the past. So there would need to be a
configuration tiddler, that contains the necessary definitions.

The problem is, that the user, which wants to define the config tiddler
would have to know exactly, how the parser works, to do the right things.
... I think it will be an education / documentation problem.

> Forgive me for interfering in this aspect of coding, which I am as yet
> unable to contribute to myself. I wish you had another "coder" (or more)
> sharing your effort.

I do have a little problem with too many different "glyphs". .. It may also
be a "tower of babel" problem, which could make interchanging content much
harder. ... So if something is hardcoded, all users have to use the same
"mechanisms". ...

> I would just add to the general discussion, whilst global customise is a
> valuable tool, I can see customise being added to the specific tiddlers
> that wish to use extended mark-up, so in many cases the scope will only be
> the current tiddler. If a text contains a glyph the editor can just choose
> another for their special mark-up, a small popup panel could list the
> glyphs found in a tiddler.

If something is defined on a per tiddler basis, I don't see a big problem.
... The problem for content interchange comes with global definitions. ..
If users forget to export the global definitions and the tiddler don't
contain any info, that there actually IS a global definition.

That's why at the beginning there had to be an \importcustom [[abc]]. If a
tiddler contains this info. Everyone knows what to request. ...

> Another approach is using a custom type field, and the type which is
> equivalent to a mime type also permits providing the character set.

At the moment the core TW doesn't know how to deal with custom mime-types,
which basically makes it impossible to use them.

-mario