What is SDV/TA?

I didn't know you could turn Suggestions off?

Could these things be the reason why the wrong program tapes on a recorded 
channel also?This has been happening a lot lately.

Sanna



On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 19:18, Glen Farney <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>  So, who knows these systems well enough to hazard a guess as to what is
> actually timing out, if there is a setting change that perhaps Charter can
> make to the tuning adapter, the hub switch, or even to Tivo to avoid this
> issue. I have Tivo suggestions turned on so it would likely have recorded
> something else during the dead time, there by changing the channel for me,
> but it seems if you don't watch the suggestions for a while, it slows down
> the recording of them to one or two shows a day, or less.
>

No need to guess, this is a 'feature' of SDV.  Remember, the purpose of SDV
is to be able to offer X channels on Y frequencies - where X > Y.  You only
need enough frequencies to serve the number of unique channels
simultaneously in use within the service area.  Of course, this doesn't work
well if someone could tune a channel and go away, leaving the frequency tied
up indefinitely.  So SDV systems have a timeout, if nothing is done within
some period of time the frequency is reclaimed for reuse.

I'm a little surprised that the TiVo isn't sending a tuning request to the
TA before recording.  I thought they did, and older TiVos with a cable box
and IR blasters would send the digits before recording - even if it thought
it was already on the channel.  Could be because, with CableCARD, the TiVo
is 'sure' it is on the right channel - but isn't smart enough to tell the
signal is gone.  I suppose there could be a problem with the TA and the TiVo
is sending a request and it isn't making the assignment request to the head
end, but I suspect the TiVo isn't asking the TA to assign a frequency to the
channel.

I think this is most likely something TiVo would need to fix.

-- 
[email protected] / [email protected] Geek, Gweep, Technophile, me.
www.GizmoLovers.com / www.MegaZone.org / www.Eyrie-Productions.com Hail Eris
Twitter.com/megazone / Facebook.com/megazone / www.LinkedIn.com/in/megazone
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 432-363-4296





Reply via email to