Ok, so here's an update.  I called Charter Cable today and really just got 
the run around.  All numbers dialed send you to the 800 number and customer 
service, who of course this is a bit beyond their ability to help.  The 
disappointment isn't so much that they can't help, but they can't give me a 
local number to call and talk to a tech, and all they seem to do is send an 
email to someone "in my area" who will call me back.  We did this last week 
and haven't gotten anywhere.  They keep wanting to send a tech out to my 
house to check out the adapter, even though they did that and changed cable 
cards to no avail.  So now I wait for a phone call.

So I get on the phone with Tivo.  I explain the situation, and the guy did 
seem to understand the issue.  We then spent over an hour on the phone 
checking various things on the box, some of his answers made me think he was 
mostly just reading a diagnostic list and didn't really know what he was 
asking about.  Examples of this include "what's the signal strength".  I 
tell him 100.  "Oh, that's a little high, it should be in the 80's".  Uhh, 
ok, too much signal is causing me to get no signal ?  He didn't have an 
answer.  Next was the SNR of 37db.  Oh, that's a little high too he reports. 
SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio.  Oh, again I have too much signal.  Darn cable 
company.

So after an hour of me reminding him that I can change all tuners to any 
channel and have no issues other than this odd behavior after it's been idle 
for hours, he informs me there's problems with the tuning adapters. 
Brilliant, that's what I told him an hour earlier, but I respect that he has 
to check everything else out to be sure.  I just get frustrated when I have 
to go through all the same steps with each person I talk to, we checked most 
of the same issues with Charter over the last month referring to cable card 
pairing, signal strength, etc.

So in the end he tells me that the Scientific Atlanta tuning adapter (STA 
1520) has "known issues" and there's nothing they can do about that.  I ask 
if the Motorola boxes have the same issue, he indicates no.  Great, perhaps 
I can get Charter to break out the Motorola for me, if they even carry them, 
I'd be surprised, but I'll call again tomorrow to see.  I did ask him to 
send me a bit more info on WHY the SA adapter "has issues" so I can better 
support my request for a different tuning adapter, and all I got was a link 
in an email http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/307 which while 
useful, says nothing about the STA1520 or any specific issues.

So I'm kinda stuck between Charter and Tivo pointing fingers at each other, 
and I'm starting to shop for satellite or FIOS.

Glen 

Reply via email to