On Oct 24, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Skip wrote:

David

My apologies. I read this comment "It will most likely be rejected." and was not amused. I personally should always refrain from responding to these
and will endeavor to do so in the future.

Notice I didn't say "I'll fight it" or "I will reject it". I'm just saying that given other users and varieties of requirements it probably not just slide through, but would be contested and possibly voted on (if discussions broke down).

I said what I meant, nothing else implied.

It is obvious to me that most people who currently use Ofbiz like it the way it is or it would have long since been changed. However, as the user base grows, so will the needs. Rejecting an idea out of hand and discouraging people from contributing seems counter-productive just because it is the way
most people do it.

Ummmm... if everyone was happy with things we wouldn't have on the order of 100 commits per week...

Yes, things are being constantly reviewed and revised. I didn't reject your idea out of hand, just trying to point out the background and other requirements that are:

1. just as valid as your current ones
2. possibly the requirements of YOUR next client

In this case, if you use properties to control behavior, it doesn't have to be either/or. I've spent three or four months now learning Ofbiz and a month writing code for it. I have contracts now for three years of work based on it. What I write will not be suitable for everyone, but it will be useful to many. I can take the time and write it so that it is easily customizable by the devs who listen here or just bang it out for the current customer and
not bother offering it up.

I would perfer to contribute my work back to the community. I feel a strong
obligation to do so.

Yes, that is the point of OFBiz, and I hope you will! Not that it's easy though...

However, when I read comments like the above I start
asking myself, "whats the point of doing the extra work when it will not be
accepted?".

That is why it is good to make a proposal to the dev mailing list first, get feedback, and then implement. The contributor best practices document has some other things related to this.

Some will say that it can still be found in Jira, but unless
you monitor the Jira religiously, trying to find unaccepted contributions is
painful.

Yes, painful, not a bad word. That's a good part of my time every day... ;) My intent with that time is to protect keep things flowing in a safe direction, avoid changes that are short-term reactions and push people to look at a bigger picture and more generic ways of doing things that still satisfy the requirements at hand.

In my view, you could have encourages contributions by saying "If it has wide appeal and does not break existing users, we can consider it" instead
of "It will most likely be rejected".

Yes, perhaps, but what's the fun in that? The idea as you stated it WOULD most likely be rejected. The point, when proposing something, is to open discussion, not complain, attack, and lock it down. Perhaps I was over-blunt... thanks for not giving up.

Just my opinionated jerk self 2 cents.

Don't worry, without opinionated jerks OFBiz wouldn't exist (nor would most other open source software, or much of anything else of value in this world... someone has to have a strong enough opinion to push any little or big thing forward). Pretty much everyone getting into OFBiz bumps up against this stuff. If we only had one process that every business followed our lives would be easy. On the other hand, we all have jobs because of client insanity. ;)

-David