On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, William Beaty wrote:
> I wrote my message about "cold reception" the day before.  I see that a
> day later Ron has gotten angry and left the overunity.com forum.  It's
> because Stefan Hartmann asked him to totally enclose the stand-alone
> circuit in aluminum, wo/ any ground wire, to verify that the 50 kilowatts
> AM radio tower was not serving as an energy source.  See:
>
>   http://www.overunity.com/index.php/topic,3457.375.html

And just to be perfectly clear about *why* I kept insisting on getting rid
of the AM radio tower entirely:

   1. Go get a radio receiver having connections to a short antenna and
      to ground.

   2. Remove the antenna and instead connect it to an aluminum cake
      pan.  The pan now functions as an antenna.  (The ground connection
      is still there of course.)

   3. Place the radio inside the cake pan.  Put another cake pan
      on top to form a shell.  What happens?  Nothing new, since there is
      still an RF voltage between the cake pans and the ground wire.  The
      radio still receives signals perfectly well.  The cake pan forms the
      antenna, and it doesn't matter whether the antenna is next to the
      radio, or whether the antenna is a metal shell enclosing the radio.

As long as Ron's device has a ground connection, any enclosing metal shell
could function as an antenna (through capacitive coupling to the proto
board, a reactance value of a few hundred or a few thousand ohms.)

Or said differently:  if the cake pans happen to be picking up RF and
routing it to Ron's device, then we should expect to see evidence of this:
the device will stop working if the ground wire is disconnected, or if the
cake pans are connected directly to the ground wire at the point where it
enters the proto board.

Stefan Hartman apparently zeroed in on exactly this issue.

And as I said before:  trying to verify FE operation while next to an AM
radio tower is like trying to work with photodiodes in direct summer
sunlight:  it's difficult to reliably shield the device.  But the solution
is SO SO SO simple.  Wait for nightfall.  Or where AM radio towers are
concerned...  pick up your prototype board.  Walk over to your car.
Drive to a distant location which has an AC outlet.  Connect the ground-
wire to the metal screw on the AC outlet.  AND THEN REPORT WHAT HAPPENED,
EVEN IF THE DEVICE STOPPED WORKING.

With Ron this simple obvious test apparently never happened.  Instead he
got mad and left both this forum and Stefan's forum.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci