On 2012-07-12, at 4:01 AM, Hugi Thordarson wrote:

>>> I think Hugi also use it.
>>
>> Is that a point for or against it?  :-P
>
> <PastedGraphic-1.png>

Ah ha!  So you ARE still reading the list!  :-)  Good to see you around!

> But yes, I've used Cayenne on a couple of projects. As you know it feels a
> *lot* like EOF and was by far the nicest ORM I could legally use at my
> previous pure java workplace. (protip: never go anywhere near JPA, it *will*
> rape your dog and kill your grandmother.)

LOL

> Apart from the technical similarities, Cayenne also has another important
> thing in common with WO: A good community and an active mailing list full of
> nice and helpful people, so you never get stuck along the way.

That is good to hear and not surprising considering that some of them are ex-WO
people.

> Cayenne is still missing a lot of functionality when compared to EOF/Wonder
> and generally feels less mature (understandably, since EOF is ancient). This
> is perhaps not such a huge problem, since functionality can always be
> added—but there is indeed a *lot* of work to be done to reach feature parity
> with EOF.
>
> It's clear that at some point most of us will have to stop using EOF in it's
> current form. In a perfect world (that's the world where I have endless time
> and money) I'd do a clean room implementation of EOF and live happily ever
> after. But this is indeed not a perfect world, so helping making Cayenne
> better and more integrated with WO seems like a more realistic goal (besides,
> it allows more resources to be spent on a re-implementation of WO; something
> I'd love to participate in).

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
http://www.global-village.net/gvc/practical_webobjects