Wait, is this you?
https://simonscat.com/
*From:*Af [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of
*Simon Westlake
*Sent:* Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:37 PM
*To:* [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Procera costs
I try to spend at least 30 minutes a day on mailing lists
to maintain some illusion of human contact. I found
myself ranting at the bus stop about Android vs iPhones
the other day, so thought I'd better start talking to
some humans rather than my cat..
On 10/6/2016 12:01 PM, Adam Moffett wrote:
LOL. I'll consider a demo, but I'll pester their
support staff about config.
I'd rather you spend your time on Sonar. What are
you doing chatting on this mailing list anyway? Get
back to work man!
------ Original Message ------
From: "Simon Westlake" <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: 10/6/2016 12:59:08 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Procera costs
You can do a lot with a Procera to deal with
stuff like that, some solutions are more complex
than others, but you get a ton of tools. They'll
send you an eval unit for 30 days to try out, so
it's pretty easy to see if it works for you. Let
me know if you want to give one a shot and I can
set it up for you.
On 10/6/2016 11:57 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
Well, there's a method to DMCA complaints.
It's more about people who's monthly usage
exceeds 600GB.
------ Original Message ------
From: "Simon Westlake" <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: 10/6/2016 12:54:59 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Procera costs
To a degree, yeah. They have a lot of
'magic' in there, like linking together
initial non-HTTPS lookups to trackers,
and then tying them to subsequent HTTPS
connections. The biggest problem with
torrenters is that some portion of them
are smart enough to use a VPN, which
leaves you with little recourse. But
you're probably not getting any DMCA
complaints about them anyway..
On 10/6/2016 11:52 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
That's good to know.
Can it reliably tag and limit torrent
traffic?
I've been looking at methods to do
that in Mikrotik and a lot of the
mangle rule examples I see online
don't actually work (anymore?) and
the ones that do work seem too broad
for comfort. I don't know if it's a
$17,000 problem, but it's a problem I
keep getting asked about.
------ Original Message ------
From: "Simon Westlake"
<[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: 10/6/2016 12:48:55 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Procera costs
Yes, but most of the time it
isn't worth it. You end up paying
list on most of the licensing,
and they won't support the
hardware if it fails. They EOL
the hardware every 5 years or so
as well (it's still supported for
a while afterwards, but that's
the typical cycle,) so you
generally want to be buying a
newer chassis.
Sometimes it's worth buying a
used one, especially if it's a
bigger chassis, but it generally
doesn't make sense.
On 10/6/2016 11:44 AM, Adam
Moffett wrote:
I lost track of whether the
license transferal issue was
with Barracuda or Procera or
both.
Could I buy a pre-chewed
Procera and then just buy the
support contract/license for it?
------ Original Message ------
From: "Rory Conaway"
mailto:[email protected]
To: mailto:[email protected]
mailto:[email protected]
Sent: 10/6/2016 12:42:19 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Procera
costs
You can't buy a unit that
was original purchased by
one company, sell it to
another company and then
they get a new license.
Basically, if I bought
Gino's unit, I would have
to pay him and he would
pay Barracuda.
Rory
-----Original Message-----
From: Af
[mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Paul Stewart
Sent: Thursday, October
6, 2016 9:41 AM
To: [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG]
Procera costs
Is that because you
didn’t have a service
contract with them? Just
curious … or is it that
their license is non
transferable same as some
other companies (ie. Cisco)
On Oct 6, 2016, at
12:19 PM, Rory
Conaway
mailto:[email protected]
wrote:
And they won't let
you transfer it to
another company either.
Rory
-----Original
Message-----
From: Af
[mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Thursday,
October 6, 2016 8:03 AM
To: af
Subject: Re: [AFMUG]
Procera costs
No we tried to
reactivate a license
on a unit we
decommissioned and
they charged us
pretty much the full
price as if it were
brand new.
----- Original
Message -----
From: "Rory Conaway"
mailto:[email protected]
To: "af"
mailto:[email protected]
Sent: Thursday,
October 6, 2016
11:00:27 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG]
Procera costs
Unfortunately they
won’t let me transfer
license or we would
be talking.
Rory
From: Af
[mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Gino
Villarini
Sent: Thursday,
October 6, 2016 7:53 AM
To: Animal Farm
Subject: Re: [AFMUG]
Procera costs
I have a base unit
for sale , offf list
for more details...
On Thu, Oct 6, 2016
at 10:29 AM, Rory
Conaway
<[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>mailto:[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>
wrote:
That's not bad.
Barracuda costs more
than that for a Gig.
Rory
-----Original
Message-----
From: Af
[mailto:[email protected]:[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>]
On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Thursday,
October 6, 2016 7:24 AM
To: af
Subject: Re: [AFMUG]
Procera costs
Arm, Leg and throw
in some fingers..
Expect $15k minimum
to start.
----- Original
Message -----
From: "Adam Moffett"
<[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>mailto:[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>
To: "af"
<[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>mailto:[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>
Sent: Thursday,
October 6, 2016
10:16:36 AM
Subject: [AFMUG]
Procera costs
What's the lower end
Procera appliance
cost? Are there
recurring costs?
--
Simon Westlake
Skype: Simon_Sonar
Email:[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>
Phone:(702) 447-1247
<tel:%28702%29%20447-1247>
---------------------------
Sonar Software Inc
The next generation of ISP billing and OSS
https://sonar.software/
--
Simon Westlake
Skype: Simon_Sonar
Email:[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>
Phone:(702) 447-1247 <tel:%28702%29%20447-1247>
---------------------------
Sonar Software Inc
The next generation of ISP billing and OSS
https://sonar.software/
--
Simon Westlake
Skype: Simon_Sonar
Email:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Phone:(702) 447-1247 <tel:%28702%29%20447-1247>
---------------------------
Sonar Software Inc
The next generation of ISP billing and OSS
https://sonar.software <https://sonar.software/>
--
Simon Westlake
Skype: Simon_Sonar
Email:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Phone:(702) 447-1247 <tel:%28702%29%20447-1247>
---------------------------
Sonar Software Inc
The next generation of ISP billing and OSS
https://sonar.software