On Jun 17, 2007, at 10:58 PM, justifiedright wrote:

The answer was assimilation. I don't recall them demanding any
street signs, applicaitions or 411 calls in yiddish.

Once again, I'll stand beside Tommy on an issue most people probably wouldn't believe a "liberal" would stand beside a conservative.

I look at it this way. We have had waves of immigration from Germans, from Italians, from Chinese and other nationalities. The difference is that the current wave is simply not assimilating in any way of the previous waves. And for good reason. As Tommy points out, it's easy to have 1 or 2 million Germans or Italians learn the language but when you have 10-20 million of a different language come over at the same time there is less reason to assimilate - especially when we run ads in print and tv in Spanish and allow businesses like bodegas to be completely in Spanish.

This is far different from having a Chinatown that's a block long.

Belmar, just ten years ago, didn't have a single bodega. We now have 3 within a 5 block area. I have nothing against that (and personally love Spanish food); however, I do think America would be better off having an official language as I do see many problems for the country in the next 5-10 years and I don't see the assimilation or desire to be part of the "melting pot" that previous immigration waves showed. This immigration wave is very different. If you don't believe that, please show me a part of America where my German ancestors still speak solely German. I doubt there is such a place.