arnyk wrote:
> Not at all, but lets examine the quality of the source of information
> that you seem to rely on.
>
> Like just about all audiophiles you probably judge audio gear based on
> casual sighted audiophile evaluations, and reviews based on casual
> sighted evaluations.
>
> Here are a few things that are fatally wrong with casual sighted
> audiophile evaluations:
>
> How does one know that any particular perception is distorted or
> reliable?
>
> I think that what I was taught and did for all of my life to now was;
>
> (1) Exclude extraneous influences that could undesirably affect the
> conclusion.
>
> (2) Understand and Control all other major influences that could affect
> the conclusion.
>
> Here are what I've found to be the major extraneous influences in
> audiophile listening evaluations:
>
> In just about all casual audiophile sighted evaluations the evaluation
> totally fails to be a test because there is no reference other than a
> highly flawed distant memory or fantasy about what the UUT's would sound
> like if their performance were ideal.
>
> In just about all casual audiophile sighted evaluations there is no
> formal process for listener selection or training. The listeners
> supervise the test and they select themselves. The equipment and its
> setup receives no formal testing.
>
> In just about all casual audiophile sighted evaluations there are no
> formal controls over listener bias. Since the test is sighted the
> listeners can always correctly identify what they are listening to by
> means that have nothing to do with listening. Therefore, not only is the
> evaluation not a test, it is generally not about listening. The
> evaluation is probably best modeled by a public opinion survey based on
> advertising, brand reputation, etc.
>
> In just about all casual audiophile sighted evaluations there is no
> formal process for Level Setting or Matching. Listeners pick whatever
> listening levels they feel like at the moment in spite of reliable
> scientific evidence that listening level is a strong determiner of sound
> quality. When two or more pieces of equipment are compared, it is
> overwhelmingly likely that they are being listened to at different SPL
> and that listener reactions could be more heavily determined by the
> differences in SPL than any presumed technical differences among the
> equipment itself.\
>
> In just about all casual audiophile sighted evaluations there is no
> formal process for controlling the music being used to audition the
> equipment. Recording quality is a very strong inflence on listneing
> pleasure but its effects are ignored. The evaluation is probably well
> modeled by a public opinion survey based on choice of recording being
> auditioned. Furthermore, there is no formal process for ensuring that
> the pieces of equipment allegedly being compared are listened to with
> [...]

Thank you, Arny.  This is something that, personally, makes me want to
continue to read this forum. Great information, presented neutrally,
without derision. I can (and did) learn a lot from this.  Wonderful!

Rg

System information
Main: Vortexbox/Squeezelite > USB> Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV
Signature amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers.

Home Theatre:  Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic
5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.0 - 0.71.20150313git1426153261 on a 1TB Micro Vortexbox
Appliance, V 2.3.