On Mon, May 22, 2023, 12:14 PM Nathan Hartman <hartman.nat...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 9:29 AM Sebastien Lorquet <sebast...@lorquet.fr>
> wrote:
>

> > If the untold reason is to speed up github tests, then run less tests.
> > Do we really need to test build on 13 or 20 arm platforms when only one
> > config of the other architectures is tested, and the actual value of
> > these build test is dubious?

My grumbles about build times it not about CI (although I would love for
the steps like clean to not be so slow).  I would be quite opposed to
letting PRs through without passing current build tests as in the past
anything touching common code has broken builds in unexpected ways leaving
other people to clean the mess up.

We already have ways to limit what builds are run based on the files
changed so if we wanted to skip builds in the cases that only certain
board/arch changes are a touched that is possible with someone willing to
do the work.

You will note if you change only files in Documentation/** only the docs
get built.

I have also asked in the past about cutting down on the amount of configs
we have checked in to be something like

board:nsh -- only nsh and somewhat small
board:jumbo -- nsh, plus as many features as can fit and are interesting in
the platform.

For sim and some other targets it would make sense to have more targets,
but not for every board.

--Brennan