From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:25 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] 16QPSK Modulation and Baud

You are misinterpreting what I was asking. Probably because I did a poor
explanation.

What I am asking, and no one seems to confirm, is whether or not the MIL
or STANAG modems really are running at multi thousand baud rates on HF
frequencies, or whether they are adding up the individual baud rates of
the tones and claiming that as the baud rate?

As an example, the Clover II waveform has four tones that operate at
31.25 baud. The total speed of the protocol varies depending upon which
modulation scheme is being used at a given time. It can vary from 2DPSM
to 16PSM with an extra 4ASM. Only one tone is operating at a given time.
Thus the claim that the baud rate is always 31.25.

With parallel tone modems do you have something similar, but there are
many tones operating at the same time but perhaps at a moderate baud rate?

Then do you add up the baud rates of each tone to total the waveform
baud rate?

Is that how they come up with using multi thousand baud rates on HF?

Or are MIL and STANAG modems running multi thousand baud rates for a
given tone?

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA wrote:

>Let me give one incident where high through put would be most desirable...
>
>When hurricanes hit the Texas Gulf Coast,  all but radio communications can be
>lost between Brownsville, Texas to Houston, Texas.  The weather stations there
>may have their eather radars operational but unable to send the "picture" or
>data to other weather stations.  A highspeed, error free, robust, realtime, HF
>data mode is needed.  The radar information may be 7.50 K bytes or larger.
>This data would need to be repeated every 5-10 minutes during critial stages
>of a hurricane.
>
>Walt/K5YFW

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional