On 26 Sep 2002 at 20:05, David H. Bailey wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
> [snip]
> > I don't think it should be a program option -- making things user
> > settings does not take away the basic disorganized thinking that
> > leads to implementing it in that way.
> >

> So now we have to do things your way?  At least if you want to be able
> to do things your way let those of who can't understand your inability
> to know that your measure 91 is in the 3rd region of the piece you are
> working on continue to work as we like.  Why should things change just
> for you?
>
> If you want to go to measure 91, you simply type 91 in the box and the
> program will jump to that measure.  Why should you want to have to type
> 3: in addition, since there is only one measure 91 in your work?  The
> program knows where to go to find it, even if you don't.

I'm not talking about what happens when you type something in the box
to jump to it. I'm only talking about what is displayed.

> I, for one, like the way it is implemented and have no confusion working
> with it.

You like seeing 1:23 go to 2:1 and then 2:31 going to 3:1 and then
3:89 going to 90 and then 3:121 (which is displayed only as "121")
going to 4:1, etc.?

You seem to not have considered that my lone measure 90 falls in the
middle of the piece, in section 3 of a piece with 7 measure number
regions.

> But I would certainly have no problem with what you are asking for being
> a program option so you could use it as you think suits you best.  Why
> would you not want to accord me (and the others who have no problem with
> it) the same privilege?

Because making it an option does not address the underlying usability
issue. You claim you like the feature because it allows navigation to
unique measure numbers without specifying the region. I think that's
a good thing, too. But it is completely orthagonal to the original
issue, the *display* of the measure number.

--
David W. Fenton                 |       http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates         |       http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc