On 31.12.2003 15:08 Uhr, David H. Bailey wrote

> There isn't really a point other than that MakeMusic is screwing up and
> forcing us to pay extra money to get the product to work as it should.
>
> Yes, we need to buy these plugins.
>
> But we shouldn't have to.  And the fact that core functionality is being
> off-loaded from the basic program code into the plug-in architecture I
> see as a double-edged blessing.  Makemusic no longer has to pay their
> programmers to incorporate these important functions, complete with full
> benefits and payroll taxes and all the corporate expense of maintaining
> a cadre of employees because they can either make us buy these plug-ins
> from third parties if we want the functionality or if enough of us are
> clamoring for the functionality they can license the plug-ins themselves
> and include them with the program upgrades.  In the latter case we don't
> have to pay extra, but neither does MakeMusic have to keep their
> development staff as large as before the plug-in architecture.

Well...
Imagine Coda /MakeMusic had spent the time on incorporating all the
wonderful things that these plugins provide, that amount of development
would have been taken away from developing all the wonderful things that
cannot be done with plugins, like staffstyles, auto expression placement,
and especially designing a plugin interface. Would you prefer that? I
certainly don't.
Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com