David, what would you say about Photoshop, which has gobs of plugins from
all kind of sources? That it was piss-poor programming on Adobe's part? Are
you kidding me?

Could it possibly be said that to provide for plug-ins is an innovative and
provisionary thing, even enabling entreprenurialism on the part of others?
Certainly it could. After all, if you wish to learn how to do it, YOU can
write a Finale plugin for your very own self, with you being the only one
who knows about it uses it, giving you, presumably, some iota of a
competitive advantage over fellow engravers. Or perhaps you would say to
yourself that others could use that same functionality and might be willing
to pay for it, thus reimbursing you a bit for time you didn't spend
engraving and at the same time winning points of appreciation from the
Finale brethren.

The point is, it's *YOUR* choice, but a choice made possible by something
that was *MakeMusic's* choice (to build in the functionality). Your argument
seems to pivot around the phrase "...those features which should be part of
the program." That's always subjective, becoming objective only when enough
users agree with you. I believe that MM has been fairly responsible to
respond to broadly supported feature or functionality requests.

The expense at the corporate level to build in a feature that Joe Schmoe
needs and earnestly believes (but without empirical evidence) "everybody"
needs can't be justified. But that's not necessarily the case with talented
individuals, working for themselves in some cases (AND, I might add, being
people who have a lot at stake as regards actually using Finale
commercially). I don't write the things, but still  have to seriously doubt
that most of the third-party plug-ins were written even though the writer
couldn't think of a good reason to have them. So they are born out of a
practical and useful understanding of real needs. I think it's a good
system, NOT evidence of some diabolical escapement of responsibility.

Richard